Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.13.2008

Karma is going to bite me in the ass

The closer I come to actually getting engaged and thinking about an actual wedding ceremony? The more nervous I get about my wedding karma coming around to bite me in the ass. On MSN's home page, they had an article about wedding guests behaving badly and I got very embarrassed.

#1- For a college friend's wedding I had been dating Herb for a while. He hadn't met any of my friends and since I thought that he was the one, I *really* wanted him to meet them. I thought that my friend A's wedding would be perfect. So, even though my name was the only one on the invitation, I RSVP'ed for two people. At the time, I wasn't thinking about how expensive weddings are (she had 400 people at her wedding), nor was I thinking about how this would inconvenience my friend. I wanted to show off the boy I was going to marry and I was being selfish. (hangs head in shame)

#2- For another college friend's wedding I drank a lot at the reception. They had mini bottles of champagne that I found very cute so I decided to have a bunch of them. Needless to say I have no idea how the argument started, but a conservative friend's husband and I (along with a couple of others) decided to have an argument about the Iraq war in the middle of the reception. I believe that it became a little too loud as we were asked to stop arguing or move our discussion elsewhere by the wait staff. Whoops. I did end up puking that night and did not make it to the pancake breakfast the next morning.

Needless to say, at every OTHER wedding I have been a great guest. I swear! But I could see these two events coming back to haunt me. For all of the upcoming brides, I hope that you don't have a friend that does either of these things at your wedding. I should have known better, but I will blame the first event on immaturity and the second event on immaturity and alcohol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other wedding news, I have been asked to be a pole holder in an upcoming wedding. I guess Chuppah is a part of a Jewish wedding ceremony where four people each hold up a pole with a sheet attached. The "structure" is supposed to represent the couple's new home. I don't have to wear a bridesmaid dress or anything, but the bride wants all four of us to coordinate what we are wearing. I immediately thought, well, there are two of us that are out of state so black is going to be the easiest thing to coordinate. Then if we want a splash of color, we can wear bright red shoes or something. I don't really know the other girls, but two of them are against the black idea because it is boring. The wedding isn't until the beginning of November so we have plenty of time to "argue" over email.

2 comments:

Nilsa S. said...

You're scaring the crap out of me as I begin collecting RSVP cards for our wedding. I can only hope my guests don't pull this on me (more the bringing extra people versus debating loudly - it's a given that will happen at my wedding).

And what's up with the bride telling you to coordinate outfits. Kind of challenging when the people don't know each other well. I kind of think she should provide a little more guidance than that. I know - why don't you all wear white! ;-)

Unknown said...

Tee hee! Pole holder. That sounds dirty.

:)