Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.16.2010

Bored

Today I was so bored at work I joined Twitter. Well, I joined Twitter for all of 20 minutes. I started to follow a few friends that I knew had Twitter accounts, then Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper (for free workout advice obviously) and Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler (because they are hilarious). And then I actually went to my “page” and read their tweets. Wait why was I signing up for this again? For annoyingly abbreviated words that do not help the spelling crisis we have in our kids?

So yeah, 20 minutes later I deactivated my account. No thanks. I’ll stick with blogs and Facebook.

But what was really behind joining Twitter was the fact that I am bored at work. I know that shocks you- these days companies are “doing more with less.” Everyone is overworked and understaffed. But yet I am bored. Sitting here wasting my day. Trying to find things to do while my boss is around (and asking her for things to do), reading blogs and commenting when she is not. It is awful. I feel horrible that I am getting paid a salary to do this. I was busy one day this week- Monday. The rest of the week? Bored out of my skull.

Unfortunately with this house purchase, I basically have one other option in terms of a job. I am currently working my resume and cover letter to be able to apply, but I am not banking on getting the job. The problems that I had earlier this year will probably come up again. The problem is- even if a similar job became available later this year, it’s going to be even harder to move when I can’t put anything down on my resume- you know, because I am not doing anything at work!

There are reasons that I can’t get into as to why I need to stay in this industry for at least another year. Even if I wanted to move to private law practice I don’t have a CT license so I would have to take the bar (never again!). If I try to change industries I have no idea if my salary would stay close to what I am currently making- which is a problem now that are a buying a house and trying for a baby.

Yeah. So I am probably stuck at this job for a while. Which makes me want to bawl my eyes out, while scratching them out at the same time. Happy f*ing Friday!


Replies to Comments
  • In my post yesterday about books I am reading and music I am currently obsessed with, you guys gave me some great recommendations. Thanks!! "The Help" is on my bookshelf just waiting for me to finish "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest." I read "Little Bee" on my honeymoon- fantastic book for those that haven't read it yet. And now I will have to pick up "Candy Girl" because that sounds fascinating! And yes Natalie, suggest away!!
  • Thanks for the help with my pre-pregnancy questions. I made an appointment to get my roots colored next week. Technically it is before we could conceive. And that way I won't have any grays for the family party next Saturday! :-)

5 comments:

justme said...

"The Help" is a fantastic book. you will love it

fojoy said...

I am in the exact same boat at work! It is so nice to come in and have actual work to do, but those days are few and far between.
Its a good thing I blog, or I have no idea what I would do with my time...

Christina said...

I just don't get twitter.

Natalie said...

I'll give you a few suggestions to start but let me know if you ever want more :)

A few of my favorites:
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Skeletons at the Feast or Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian
A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg

Happy reading!!

Kate said...

I tell people that I get paid to surf the internet for 8 1/2 hours a day. And that's pretty much the truth. I've learned something about everything I ever wanted to know and I'm in love with the internet, but it gets old.