Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.28.2010

Looking brighter

Last Friday I was in a huge funk. I wrote a post that I ended up not publishing because it was just depressing. Whining about my job and how bored I am. Whining about my weight gain, knowing that it has been my fault entirely. Blah blah blah.

While bored that same day, I went poking around the internet. I found stories of people that have gone through so much in their lives, whether it be losing someone special, going through a major accident, or something else. After going through that physical or mental pain, they still had hope. They were still happy. Life was certainly not perfect with rainbows and unicorns, but they were still POSITIVE.

So what the f am I doing? Getting depressed because I am unhappy with my job? When I survey my life, it doesn’t suck. Yes I am unhappy with work because it doesn’t challenge me, but if that is my biggest worry then I need to suck it up. I have a job. I am able to pay my bills with my salary. I am not in danger of losing my job. My boss is not awesome, but she is also not horrible. THINGS COULD BE SO MUCH WORSE.

As far as weight gain, that is my fault. I was doing well after the wedding and then when CP traveled for a bit I slipped…..big time. After my surgery I made a half-hearted attempt to get back into the gym, but never fully committed. I want to be healthy if/when I get pregnant. If/when I get pregnant it is NOT the time to start back in with my running and 30 Day Shred ways, so I might as well start now. Which is what I did on Monday. I brought in my workout clothes and hit the gym at lunch time. Then again today. Last week I would have said, oh well I can’t work out on Tuesday because I will be in training so I might as well start working out the following week. Excuses. I decided to jump into Week 5 of Couch to 5K for my first two workouts back, tomorrow I will strength train.

No one wants to read my whining. I don’t even want to WRITE whining posts anymore.

Sometimes you just need to read something that slaps you back into reality. Stuff that makes you fight back tears at work because you are so amazed at someone’s strength after so much pain. Stuff that makes you go home and hug your husband and your dog. Stuff that lets you know just how good you really have it.

A more positive outlook starts NOW.

6 comments:

Kate said...

We all get in these funks! It's okay to go through them. But it's super healthy that you were able to take a step back and see the big picture!

funderson said...

Yeah, no worries! One can't be positive all the ding-dang time...get off your ass and feel better. How's that? :)
I'm a new follower because I like your blog name..well done.

funderson said...

oh yeah...I also wanted to say I was big as a house when I FINALLY got pregnant and yes, start now!

Amy Jo said...

Sometimes it's the smallest things that can really make us "open our eyes". I'm glad you have a better outlook on things.

Good luck with your new workout plan. I can totally relate with how hard it is to get motivated again after taking a hiatus away from that healthy lifestyle. I'm here cheering you on!

Kate said...

Just because someone has lived through something awful and currently seems to be okay doesn't mean that they didn't have their horrible dark times along the way. Give yourself a break. yeah. Work toward getting back on track, but certainly don't beat yourself up. One day at a time. And that's that.

@JessEsco said...

hello! Saw your comment on Whispering Amber and loved the title of your blog so I came on over.

Trust me, I was in the same boat. I was hating my job and how boring/crap it was. Luckily I got a different job that I love and challenges me but it can truly bring you down and make you unhappy. But you're right, gotta be thankful for having a job, paying the bills, being healthy.

Good luck with the workouts! Being in shape pre-preg makes it easy to continue and really helps out during labor.