Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.20.2010

iTunes PSA

I was using my Blackberry at work this morning when I came across an iTunes receipt. I thought that it was odd, but then again I had updated some of my apps recently so maybe it was a $0.00 receipt from that? But then I saw another one and got suspicious. I went into the emailed receipt and saw that they were DEFINITELY unauthorized purchases. A video of the Jonas Brothers in LA? Definitely not a purchase I would make. I investigated further on my credit card activity (since I can’t access my iTunes account at work) and yep, the douchenizzle who got a hold of my account put $40-$50 on 15 different transactions, spending over $500 in 3 days.

*Sigh.* So I immediately called my credit card company to report unauthorized activity. Once again I have a new credit card number. I swear this happens at least once a year with Citibank. Next I try to call Apple…but was then told that people over the phone can’t help with online purchases. I either have to open up a chat window (which I can’t do at work) or email them. How freakin’ annoying Steve Jobs. But don't worry- Apple promises to get back to me within 48 hours!

One of my friends on Facebook alerted me that the hacking of iTunes accounts has been going on for about a month or so. If you have your credit card stored on the site you might want to make sure it is safe and/or take it off so that you don’t have to deal with this too. As soon as I get home tonight I will be taking my (now cancelled) credit card information off the account and I won't be putting it on again. Hopefully the fraudulent purchases get taken off my credit card soon.....CP and I will NOT be paying $500+ in crappy iTunes stuff.

3 comments:

Tia said...

Not that it probably makes you feel better, but my husband and I have had both our Chase CC and State Farm CC number stolen in the past year. Thankfully both banks were A+ on top of it, and we got a call about suspicious charges within 5 minutes of them occuring. Credit card theft is so common now unfortunately :( You shouldn't have to deal with Apple though - your CC should do that for you.

Breathe Gently said...

Oh my gosh, how crazy is that? I've heard of it happening to a few of my US friends, which sucks. I have my credit information on the UK itunes store - so that's the one I need to watch. Bummer. :( I hope it's sorted out soon. People are awful, sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting this out there - I will be removing my credit card as soon as I get home.
I have to admit, I never pictured 14 year old girls hacking itunes and stealing credit cards to get their Jonas Bros fix. Goes to show that you never can tell...