Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.15.2010

Recommendations

Recently I have read a few books that I would highly recommend:

Imagine taken from Amazon.com




The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

I know that this book, along with the other two books in the trilogy, is the hot thing to read this summer. And I could totally tell why. I could NOT put this book down. The Swedish movie version of this book is now out on DVD (my father-in-law says that it is fantastic) so it has moved to the top of our Blockbuster queue.


I am more than halfway through the next book in the trilogy, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and it is just as engrossing. Highly recommended.




Image taken from Amazon.com

On a different note, I would also recommend reading Sperm Wars by Robin Baker. (I guess he updated the book a few years ago- that version is here) I know that it sounds like a weird book to read, but a friend in Chicago read it and recommended it. It is a fascinating read. It is all about the biology of our bodies, mainly sperm. You learn about the different types of sperm (egg getters, blockers, killers), the techniques men use to ensure that they win the reproduction game, how women are more likely to cheat on their significant others when they are fertile (thus to incite a sperm war), etc. It is not a textbook by any means- instead each chapter starts with a "scene" and then the author explains the meaning behind every little detail afterwards. Just like the Nat Geo special I saw "Sizing up Sperm", this is a good book for fancy dinner conversations. Ha!

Other than speed-reading the books above because I couldn't get enough of them, I found a fantastic site that has helped keep all of the books that I want to read in the future in one place. Is anyone else on GoodReads? You can review books that you have read, can check out reviews from strangers and your friends and save books that you want to read on your "bookshelf." It's fantastic- and it even has an iTouch app!

In addition, there are two songs that I can't seem to get out of my head.

The first? "Fireflies" by Owl City. I can't stop listening to it....despite the fact that it was probably a song on a Twilight movie. I don't know what kind of pull this song has on me, but I am seriously obsessed with it!








The second song? Michael Buble's "Haven't Met You Yet." I feel like an old person listening and liking the song, but I can't stop my leg from hopping around with the beat.





Please tell me that I am not the only one crushing on these songs????

Any good books you have read lately that you can recommend? Any songs you are currently obsessed with?

5 comments:

Christina said...

The book that I read a few months ago and is still stuck in my head is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It is an amazing journey in a book.

Since I am a fan of cooking I just adored Julie Chile's autobiography "My Life in France"

Kate said...

I adore Fireflies. ADORE IT. And I just finished Candy Girl. It's about a girl that strips for a year in Minneapolis. I couldn't put it DOWN.

Natalie said...

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is on my to read list!

I'm a huge reader, email me if you seriously want some recommendations!!

Stevie said...

I haven't read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but I saw the movie in the theater and it was FANTASTIC! The Girl Who Played With Fire movie comes out soon, or maybe it's already out...

I'm not on GoodReads, but I use Shelfari and I like it a lot. It keeps track of everything I'm reading, everything I've read, and everything I want to read.

I recently read Little Bee and it is incredible! I highly recommend it.

fojoy said...

Buble ROCKS! and he's Canadian ;)