I haven’t been looking forward to today for a while now. Honestly, I think that it is why I have been a little depressed lately. You see, today is my 30th birthday. I am not one of those people that care that I am turning 30. Age really is just a number. Plus, I am the youngest person in both my high school and college classes so most everyone I know is already 30.
No, the reason that I am sad is that CP and I still don’t have friends that live near us. Yes, we have a bunch of friends that live near Boston, but that’s over an hour away from us. I seriously believe the median age in our town and the surrounding towns is 50. The towns haven’t quite “turned over” to the younger generation in their late 20s and early 30s yet.
So while I see friends post pictures on Facebook of big parties at fun bars for their 30th birthdays, I won’t have any of that. I know that I am not 10. I know that it is not a competition to see how many people you can have at your birthday. But when the only person coming to your birthday is your fiancĂ© (who is required to be there)? It stinks. I like bringing friends from different times in my life together for my birthday. I will also enjoy doing that for my wedding.
You are probably thinking, woe is her. That’s all she has to worry about? And I agree. I am very lucky in other aspects of my life. There could be so many other things that could be going wrong in my life. But I hate being lonely. I’m glad that I have CP to hang out with, but living in the middle of nowhere still sucks.
Tonight we don’t have anything planned. What! It is a weeknight and I am now officially old. ;-) We will probably go to the gym and then head home for a night of healthy food and relaxing on the couch. Since I gave up on my birthday a few weeks ago and we are trying not to spend too much money, on Friday CP is going to steam two lobsters and we are going to open a bottle (or two, or three!) of wine. No pictures of a drunken night at the bar….and we will probably head to bed before 11pm.
To try to cheer myself up, here is my list of things to look forward to in the next 365 days:
*Getting married!
*Going on an awesome honeymoon to Ecuador & the Galapagos (we haven’t booked anything yet…hopefully soon)
*Looking forward to moving back west
*A pay raise in mid-February
*My rotation down in DC for work. Although I will be away from CP for three months, I will get to see a bunch of friends for longer than a weekend every year or so!
*Eagles/ Redskins game later this month. My sister works with Donovan McNabb’s agent….so although I will be going into enemy territory for yet another year, I will continue my streak of seeing the Eagles in person at least once every year.
8 comments:
Aw...! if it's any consolation, I'm not going to have some huge 30th birthday party if only because my friends have kids and live in the suburbs. I'm beginning to feel like the old party girl who never grew up.
But happy birthday! Happy, happy birthday. And you can always have a kickass 31st party...
But still, Happy Birthday! :)
Happy Birthday. I know that there is no party tonight to celebrate but do something fun. Turning 30 was the best thing that has happened to me.
Enjoy your day!
happy birthday!
i know how you feel...when we were living in west tx last year, all the couples our age already had kids. they were in such a different place than us that it was hard to make friends. i couldn't wait to get back to college station where we had friends close-by.
i have come to terms with being "old" though--i much prefer a night in with the hubby than a crazy night of partying.
It's interesting, because I was STOKED to turn 30. I guess I was just ready for that stage of my life. But, I think you raise an interesting point. Oftentimes, people are happy (or not) to celebrate birthdays based on other things going on in their lives. And all I can say is 30 is looking to be a pretty fabulous year for you. Who cares that one little day isn't all you wanted it to be?!
Happy Happy Birthday!
And your list of things to look forward to is AWESOME!
(I'm just a few weeks behind you.)
Happy belated birthday!
When I turned 29 it seemed so close to thirty that it felt like thirty. So that by the time I turned 30, I felt like I'd already been thirty for a year. So in a way, my ages went: 27, 28, 30, 30, 31.
I didn't feel old until 32 when I realized, "Oh crap, this number keeps moving up!?"
And that was now ten years ago. Live each day! You don't get them back.
Post a Comment