Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

12.30.2008

Registering is like hard 'n stuff

While CP and I were in Chicago, we decided that a nice activity to share with my parents would be to register for the wedding. CP and I are clueless as to what you need when hosting a nice dinner party,* so we figured that bringing my parents would be a good bonding experience and that they would be able to give us some good advice. What resulted was an all day excursion to a department store. I thought that registering was supposed to be fun?

Thank goodness my parents are just going to give us china because then we didn’t have to deal with finding a pattern that we both agreed upon. However, it did mean finding glassware that matched. This took a good hour and a half because the store did not have all of the glasses set out in the same area. CP and I did find a pattern that we liked, but then subsequently found out (via the scanner) that the glasses were going to be discontinued. *Sigh* After consulting with the bridal registry lady, she found us new glasses that were even better in all of 10 minutes. Which made us question why we didn't just grab her in the beginning??!!

After a couple of hours of registering, we met up with my sister and broke for lunch. Then, it was back to the store for more registering. This time, we went to the kitchen and appliance section, where CP and I were a little more comfortable.

After zapping all of the stuff we needed, my parents had me go up to the bridal salon “just to take a look.” I was already somewhat cranky from the long day and going up to the bridal salon to see overly-beaded dresses didn’t particularly help. Let’s just say we were in and out of that area pretty quickly.

Next, CP, my mom, and I headed to the coat section of the store because my winter coat is just not cutting it in MA. The following conversation ensued:

Non Sequitur Chica: What do you think of me in this coat? (see picture example)


CP: I think that it looks like you are wearing a sleeping bag.

Non Sequitur Chica: Oh come on it is not that bad.

CP: You know that I never give you an opinion on any of your clothes. If I am telling you that it looks bad, then you know that I must feel strongly about it.

Non Sequitur Chica: Fine. I will just freeze to death this winter then! (stomps away)

Yes folks, my cranky pants were on! Needless to say, we ended up leaving the store afterwards.

Let’s hope the next time we register it goes a bit smoother…..


*CP and I frequently have people over (or….well, we did out west where we had friends!) and we simply don’t DO fancy. We always cook scrumptious meals, but end up sitting on the couch eating with friends because we are watching a sporting event or the like.

5 comments:

Christina said...

I know exactly how overwhelming the registering for stuff is. We have been together for a few years and before that we lived alone so we have a lot of things that you would typically register for.

We are still debating the merits of china. If we should or shouldn't and where we would store everything.

But mostly we have decided to look at it as an upgrade a 2.0 if you will. So we are going to register for new pots and pans, better bedding and I am sure that list will grow.

Yet, somehow I am not filled with excitment to do it.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't discounted glasses be a good thing? People can pay less and get you more of them!

SaneAndSingle said...

Eww...registering does suck!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Registering was one of the MOST stressful activities Sweets and I did last year. It was a full day in a department store and a retail store. And while we were on the same page with most things (no formal china!), it was still a very long day. I'm glad you got it out of the way. Now, don't forget to ADD to your registry (online, hopefully!) as you think of things in the coming months!

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Anon- this is what happens when I don't proofread. I meant DISCONTINUED, not discounted. OF COURSE I would love to put discounted (i.e. sale) items on my registery. Thanks for the catch!

Nilsa- we only made it through one store so we have another one to go....