Sunday I ran my first 5K in over a year and it went better than expected. :-) Saturday night we went to a holiday dinner party at a friend’s place in MA two hours away. We didn’t get home until midnight, so it was a good thing that the race didn’t start until 10:30am!
It was maybe 30 degrees out when CP dropped me off a couple blocks away from the race. I ran around trying to find safety pins before the gun went off. I am always nervous before the start of a race which is extremely silly. I mean, I am only competing against myself (since, let’s face it, I’m a slow mofo).
I was probably only 50 feet or so from the start line so I didn’t have to walk too much before hitting the actual start of the race. I felt good and my race playlist had started on my iTouch. I told myself that I would run the entire race, no matter how slow. But by the third hill, I decided that I had to walk. Booo for me. CP was hoping to get back from Whole Foods in enough time to watch me run by (as part of the race took me only a few blocks away from our house), but sadly he didn’t. It sounds silly, but I would have liked to have seen him, even though it was only a 5K.
I had to walk only one more time during the race.
As soon as I saw the finish line, I started to sprint. As I passed a guy in his late 30s about 20 feet before the finish line, he started sprinting so that I wouldn’t beat him. Too bad because I ended up crossing the finish line before him! YES!
My time? 33:51, which is 10:54 per mile. Yes it is probably one of my slowest times, but I’m owning it and I am proud of it. :-)
What did you do this weekend?
9 comments:
Wahooooo! That's a FAST time to me! Way to rock it out!
Good for you! I agree, that's a fast time to me. Even when I was in great track shape, I stil did a 5k in 43 min. I'm just not a "long" distance person.
Woohoo! Way to go! I love running 5Ks. They're short enough that they're pretty fun, but they're still a challenge.
Seattle has a big Jingle Bell Dash coming up next week. I can't wait!
Congrats! Way to go, and that time sounds fast to me!
Congrats! I'm always so impressed with you runner types :-)
You rocked! Congratulations!
I tried to email you about the book title, but I think I messed up your email address some how...can you resend please?
Nicely done!!!!
Woohoo!
awesome!!! that is a great time!
Post a Comment