Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

2.10.2012

New doctor

STILL waiting on the Provera to do its job and start my period. I would really like to get this show on the road!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

CP and I decided a few months ago that I was going to switch to a new GYN doctor because it would have been nice to know about my fibroid/surprise endo BEFORE wasting a year of trying to have kids with no success. I had told my old GYN that I was having tremendously heavy periods with large clots and that wasn’t my “normal” until a few years ago. She never did anything about it. Even when I had my HSG test she noted that my uterus was shaped a little funny, but didn’t think to have further tests run to make sure there wasn’t a reason for that (aka a fibroid pushing into the uterus). It would have been nice.

So yesterday I had my annual ladies exam with a doctor who was recommended to me by a close friend. She had three C-sections with the group and thought they were fantastic. They take my insurance and they are located five minutes from my house. Perfect.

My new GYN is really nice and made sure to go over the records sent over by my old doctor. Her comment? “I see you had a busy year last year.” Yep.

She told me a bit about the practice and how it works if I do get pregnant. When she mentioned how it would be fairly easy for me to plan ahead to have a specific doctor do my C-section, I couldn’t help myself and asked why I couldn’t do a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean- something friends of mine have had). I’m glad that I asked because although my fertility doctor told me about the recent studies and the risks, my new GYN told me exactly why it wasn’t a good idea.

When you have the surgery that I had to remove the fibroid, the doctor cuts into the side of your uterus. That is the best place to cut because it allows for faster healing….however, it is a weak section of your uterus. When you have a C-section the bottom part of the uterus is cut and that is actually the strongest part of your uterus. So women that have had C-sections can often go on to have a vaginal birth because their uterus won’t rupture in the middle of childbirth. Because a weak part of my uterus has been weakened further due to my surgery, it is not advisable for me to have a vaginal birth.

I left the office satisfied with that explanation….and satisfied with my new doctor. I told her my concerns with my previous doctor and she understood. Hopefully I’ll be back in her office again prior to my next annual visit because I will be pregnant! Trying to keep the hope alive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird how not being able to have a baby naturally throws you off? Like, I thought that was going to be my choice.

Since they had to deliver Juliet at 30 weeks they were forced to cut my uterus in the weak area and now I am forced to have any subsequent children via c section.

Jess said...

I'm so glad you like your new doc. I have other friends who've had weak area incisions or tears on the uterus and therefore also have to have c-sections in the future. The explanation makes a lot of sense. I'm glad you have a doc who was able and willing to take the time to explain this to you.

terra said...

I think having a doctor you can trust and who you like is a major plus. All of this is fairly sensitive stuff and I'm glad you've found someone who will hopefully guide you along this journey better than your last GYN.