Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.08.2013

Cheese please

As I mentioned on Monday, I am ALL about cheese right now.  The best kind?  Hot melted cheese.  So when CP and I were looking for a salad recipe to make for dinner on Sunday night with my parents, we came across a rye berry, leek, sun-dried tomato salad with broiled cheese on top?  I was sold.

Then CP left for Puerto Rico (thankfully he is back tonight) and I had some leftover cheese.  So I decided just to make the cheese part of the salad.  Totally worth it.

Want an easy appetizer or something quick to put on top of bread?  This is your dish.  As always, sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures because god knows I'll never be a food blogger.  

Ingredients
1/4 lb of haloumi cheese (we couldn't find this but a good and easier-to-find substitute is queso blanco)
1.5 tsp of oregano and thyme
1/4 tsp of black pepper (we used white)
2 tsp of olive oil (we used the oil from the sun-dried tomato bottle)

*note- the cheese is already salty so no salt is needed in this recipe*

Directions
1. Place a rack 6 inches from the heat source and put your oven on broil.
2. Cut the cheese into thin slices and put them on a plate.


3. Brush cheese with olive oil, then sprinkle with herbs and pepper.


4. Turn cheese over and brush the other side with olive oil, then sprinkle with herbs and pepper.
5. Transfer the cheese to a broiler pan (we lined it with foil for easy clean up) and cook for 5 minutes or less- basically until brown.  Turn once during cooking.

As you can see I came VERY close to burning these!
The verdict?  Positively delicious!!

11 comments:

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

That cheese bread looks amazing! That and a glass of wine and I'd be set. :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh dear lord my mouth is watering. Nothing beats warm, melty cheese. Nothing.

Anonymous said...

Cheese is the most delicious thing on Earth. We have halloumi at the grocery store I usually go to, but I've never bought it because it's crazy expensive! I'll have to try this.

Lya said...

I LOVE Haloumi cheese! I discovered that last summer at a friend's place. Your recipe looks delicous! We'll have to try it. ASAP.

Aramis said...

Halloumi is dee-lish! Now I must needs go find me some...

Anonymous said...

I love Haloumi! We throw it on the grill. And I'm all about cheese right now too! Food cravings are funny.

Esperanza said...

That looks very yummy. Might I recommend a SUPER easy cheesy salad? Arugula tossed in olive oil with mozzarella and salt. SO GOOD. SO SIMPLE. You can add as much mozzarella (cut into bite sized pieces) as you want!

Elizabeth :: Bébé Suisse said...

The (hot, melty, crusted) cheese part of the salad only? You're my hero.

JenS said...

I have always loved cheese, but yeah, wanting it even more lately. All dairy products in fact. Must be my need for extra calcium or something.

Syl said...

I get queso blanco at Costco in huge chunks, and we fry it up on the stove. Eat it as is, melty or add to bread or salads, burgers, chicken, whatever we can think of.

Amber said...

I love cheese! Thanks for sharing your recipe.