I nursed and then pumped both boobs before heading to our friend's house 35 minutes away. Once we arrived, I nursed the right boob (aka the milk powerhouse), ate a bagel and then we were off to take the train into the city. I like to arrive at any race with plenty of time so that I'm not rushing around needing to use the bathroom when there are long lines. Thankfully neither of us needed to check any gear so that saved us time and amazingly, there were no lines for the bathroom!
My friend signed up to run 9 minute miles which I clearly wasn't going to do so she dropped back a few waves to run with me. I guessed that I would be running 12 minute miles and had a goal of finishing the 5 miles in 60 minutes.
I had headphones in for a background beat, but my friend and I chatted throughout most of the race. There were a few downhills that I tried to use to my advantage and I powered through the two relatively small hills as well (although the one around 4.5 miles was just mean). Before the race I kept telling my friend to not run with me because I am super slow and totally not in shape for the race, but she said that she wasn't doing it for the time and wanted to do it with me. In the end, I'm glad that I ran it with her. Our conversation totally distracted me throughout the race and knowing that she was faster made me push to keep running. I did walk three times- at two water stops and then once right after the 4 mile sign- but each time it wasn't for very long). I was heartened by the fact that I passed people throughout the race and when we hit the 4 mile mark I checked how long we had been running and it had only been 42 minutes! From there I knew that I was going to meet my goal of 60 minutes because I was definitely not going to run a 16 minute final mile!
After our last turn, I could see the finish line about .3 miles ahead of me and I did my best to race into the finish.
Official time: 53:10 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Average pace: 10:53
Ummmm whoa. I totally underestimated myself!! My 5k time was 32:53 and I can't tell you the last time I ran a 5k that fast (it has also been a few years since I have run a 5K race). I'm still not fast by any means, but I am technically obese according to my BMI (30.1) and I will still use the "I just had a kid" card....so yeah, I'm pretty happy with that time.
Afterwards we drank our free Michelob Ultra before meeting our husbands and kids in Chinatown for dim sum. It tasted delicious, but I'm not sure that I would eat dim sum again after a race because I was a little bloated Sunday night from the salt!
So yay! Maybe I need to run a little faster on training runs? My friend is doing a 10K in two weeks and wants me to join her...although I know that I could do it I'm not sure if I want to. It's not like it's that much further but I won't be able to do a long run this weekend because we will be with family in NH. That same weekend I could do a 5K that runs through the Wrigley Field concourse or I could do a 5K for the "Be the Match" (Bone marrow donation) foundation. Decisions, decisions.
The only thing that worries me is after a run- whether it is 2 miles or 5 miles, my uterus gets sore. Is that normal? Or am I pushing it too much?
The only thing that worries me is after a run- whether it is 2 miles or 5 miles, my uterus gets sore. Is that normal? Or am I pushing it too much?
*Don't feel too bad for CP. He took a nap on the couch when we got home while I walked Buster and cleaned the house. I was so tired that I was in bed by 9pm that night!!
9 comments:
We done!!! You should be proud!
awesome results! Way to go
Wow good work!! No wonder you were so tired!
Oh my gosh!!! You are amazing!! I don't know how you did that! I feel like a million years old and get winded walking up the stairs.
You go girl! That's an AWESOME time! So happy for you!
Woohoo! What a great time! Yeah, pumping and the boobs are the hardest part of running when they're little.
You did awesome!
That's an awesome time and a sure boost to morale, eh?!? Congrats! When I trained for marathons, my coaches constantly emphasized that walking throughout your long runs ensures your muscles recover faster/better and also helps you run a faster overall time. One coach said he walked 1 minute per mile and finished the Boston Marathon with a PR. Food for thought should you decide to attempt 10K or longer races in the future.
Way to go! I need to get running myself. I'm having a hard time getting motivated, but reading about your run helps me.
Post a Comment