Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.20.2015

Sick Day

Twenty four hours makes a world of difference when it comes to a kid. Izzy had a fantastic weekend, concluding with dinner at a sushi restaurant with my parents and my sister/her fiance for a late Mother's Day celebration. She was fantastic throughout the whole meal and ate some edamame, daikon, and even sushi after finishing her tofu appetizer! 


Eating daikon at dinner


She went off to daycare on Monday as usual, but in the middle of a meeting Monday afternoon I got a call that she had puked during snack time.

Yesterday I took off work to be with her as she worked through her fever. She woke up at 4am and although I brought her back into my bed to finish sleeping, I didn't fall back asleep and we were up for the day at 5:30am. From the moment we got downstairs it was "outside?" every two minutes. We watched some Sesame Street, ate some toast and eggs, drank some Pedialyte, but all she wanted to do was go outside.

Watching tv and snuggling with Bear


Finally at 8:30 I bundled her up (at that point it was 45 degrees out- Chicago is having a bit of a cold snap) and decided to take her and Buster on a walk. At least she would be outside but not having to expend any energy.

When we got back in the house she wanted to eat- a lot. Banana, Cheerios, Yogurt. 

Despite being sick she was still able to entertain me


We went to the store, ate lunch, and then both of us took naps (Izzy's lasted longer than mine). As soon as she was downstairs again it was "outside?" over and over. I decided to take her on another walk with Buster (he was super happy yesterday with all of the long walks). I brought her crackers for an afternoon snack and she was very frustrated with the gloves and eating the crackers.


The struggle is real kid. Cold hands or hard to eat crackers?


We ended the walk near the train station where we watched a few trains stop at the station and Izzy got super excited, saying "choo choo" over and over. Even sick she is adorable.

Waving bye to the trains. Notice that the gloves didn't make the cut.


Last night she was feeling better and running around like a hurricane while we were trying to Facetime with CP. Not one wakeup throughout the night and this morning her fever was gone. Hooray!

I was a little worried about what I was going to do with her all day while she was sick. 17.5 months into parenting and I still question myself. I was happy that although I couldn't just take her to the park and let her run around and play like I usually would, we were able to make it through a long day together without relying on too much tv time. Although, when you are sick tv time limits do sort of go out the door.....

5 comments:

Cristy said...

It's so hard when they are ill. I recently took the day off because She-Beat had a fever, but He-Beat did not. Lying around with one feverish child while the other is bouncing off the walls is always interesting. Still, you made it through. And that's an accomplishment.

Glad Izzy is feeling better!

Aramis said...

Izzy looks so grown up in that restaurant photo in her denim jacket! Yeah, kids are so resilient...the last thing I want to do when I'm sick is go outside!

Gypsy Mama said...

How is she so cute even when sick? Glad she's feeling better

Gypsy Mama said...

How is she so cute even when sick? Glad she's feeling better

Amber said...

Seriously adorable, even when sick! When Ayden was sick last week, we watched a little more TV than usual. He kept throwing up, so finally we decided to just settle down, snuggle, and watch a movie. Sometimes that's all you can do. I'm glad you all were at least able to make it outside for a few walks and that her fever didn't last long. Sick days are generally no fun for anyone, but sounds like you all made it through with flying colors!