Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

3.09.2016

Potty Training

Man is potty training tiring! But I am heartened with the fact that it is going well so far. Before we even started I read the book "Oh Crap Potty Training" by Jamie Glowacki. I know that others may disagree but I am in the camp that just a generation ago (aka when we were kids), we were potty trained usually around 18 months old so I wasn't waiting until Izzy told me that she wanted to potty train. She has been excited about "big girl panties" for a while so that certainly helps. I'm not sure Izzy was ready at 18 months old, but we definitely could have trained her by her second birthday. Not knowing how long the process took (and being scared at how it would go), we waited until after our trip to Hawaii to start.

So after reading the potty training book and getting back from Hawaii, CP and I decided that this past weekend would be THE weekend because we didn't have a lot to do. Izzy woke up and went to soccer in the morning with a diaper, but after getting home we took the diaper off and told her no more diapers. The book suggested an entire day of waist down nakedness and while that was a little weird, it was helpful. As parents we were supposed to look for her "cue" that she had to go to the bathroom (I still don't know if I can see it). In a nutshell, Izzy did great! She only had one accident (of course on the carpet), but otherwise she peed and pood in her small training toilet all day long. We set 20 or 30 minute timers and would tell her that it was time to sit on the potty instead of asking her. CP and I decided ahead of time that we weren't going to tackle nighttime/nap diapers just yet so she did get a diaper for the nap and to go to bed. Yay for Izzy!

The next day was a little tougher. The book recommends no training pants, underwear, etc. for a few weeks because they feel too much like diapers so we put her in pants and set timers. At times she did well- we even got to walk to the park, play for about 10 minutes and then walk home, but did pee through three pairs of pants and then poo in another pair. However, at the end of the day she did recognize that she was peeing but didn't figure it out in time.

Monday she was at daycare and I was nervous. They said that they would take her every 30 minutes but her usual teacher wasn't there in the morning when I dropped her off so I didn't get to talk to them about how she did. Her teacher called that afternoon to let me know that Izzy only had two accidents so far (poop) and that she was exceeding expectations. She came home that night and had another poop accident- thank goodness she was wearing pants that were not open at the ankles! :-)

Yesterday Izzy only had one pee accident at school (hooray!) and it was because the kids were outside. She seems to need to go every hour or so. We have had a little resistance on going to the potty at home, but nothing too bad and we get excited every time she does go. 

I'm really proud of how well she is doing so far and we may test her by going out to dinner tonight to celebrate my promotion! Don't worry we plan on bringing an extra pair of pants with us. :-)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Woo hoo, Izzy! Potty Training seems to be something that can smoothly or be one of the circles of hell. I'm glad you're more towards the smooth end of the spectrum, even with all the poopy laundry. I hope things keep going well towards the goal of total diaper independence! That would be awesome to only have one in diapers at a time... :)

Lacey Bean said...

Yayy Izzy!! We did it with Sadie during the summer since Dave is off from work and while we didn't keep her naked from the waist down she was only in underpants. Took about a week or so until we were good to go. It's good that you have daycare on your side, we had setbacks when Sadie started daycare again.

Gypsy Mama said...

That's really great! I feel like Paloma is ready for potty training now, but not sure how that would work with daycare. It's great that Izzy is going to be well used to using the potty before baby comes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you are really successful! It's honestly a topic I simply haven't thought about yet (one might call it denial ;)