Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.16.2016

One Month Old

Wes turned one month old yesterday!


Height: 21.5 inches (at his three week appointment)

Weight: 9 pounds 11.7 ounces (at his three week appointment)


Heading home from the hospital




Nickname: Tooters (because he farts a lot), Buddy (although I need to stop using this because I also use that name with Buster), Monkey

Milestones: Like Izzy, Wes had fairly good neck control from the beginning. I guess in utero they must do some neck exercises? :-) In the past week or so he has started to grab things (tshirts, CP's chest hair). He is a bit more alert these days, but is still sleeping quite a bit. He doesn't mind tummy time that much but sometimes gets lazy about turning his head.

Meeting Buster for the first time and getting his requisite first lick


Eating: Wes is a champion breastfeeder despite having both a tongue tie AND a lip tie. From the first time I was allowed to put him to my breast while he was in the NICU he had a good latch and most importantly, didn't fall asleep like Izzy did and we haven't had to break out the nipple shield! Frankly, it was really nice to not have any issues with eating. He also has no problem with bottles which will make his start in daycare much easier. Right now he generally just feeds on one side every two to three hours except at night when I don't have as much milk- usually that is a both sides boob affair. Last week we went to the dentist to get his tongue tie and lip tie lasered which did not please Wes. But he seems to be recovering nicely and hopefully it makes a difference in his suction soon. 


Contemplating life's biggest mysteries


Diapers: Wes started off in newborn but moved to size 1 around 3 weeks old (could have moved earlier but I was trying to use up the smaller diapers that I had).

Clothes: Has been in newborn or 0-3 month clothes all of this month but will be wearing 3-6 month clothes starting today. He is gaining weight really quickly!





Sleep: I wish that this was going a bit better. I generally am able to go to bed between 10:30 and 12 after some cluster feeding. He is definitely not on a schedule but tends to wake me up two to three hours later. One night he went four hours and my boobs leaked and I felt super refreshed (totally worth it)! A couple of days around the three week mark were really rough as Wes would get up around 2am and be up, cluster feeding and generally awake until 5am. Talk about a rough next day!! Most of the time we are able to take a nap together later in the day. CP has been great about letting me sleep in on the weekends after Izzy gets up as he knows that I am not getting much sleep at night (because I don't need much help keeping Izzy awake at night for feeds CP has been getting more sleep at night- lucky duck!).




Likes: Snuggling in our arms, sleeping on us, nursing, taking walks outside

Dislikes: Diaper changes, baths, when we first put him in the car seat or a lot of time when we are driving. 

Illnesses: Thankfully nothing so far. Stay healthy big guy!

Overall, Wes is acting very similar to Izzy when she was a month old. I hope he starts to sleep a bit more at night, but otherwise he is great! Izzy has been a great big sister so far being very patient if we are busy with Wes. We are trying to give her lots of one-on-one time (usually with CP because I need to be around to feed Wes) and fun activities. She has enjoyed all of the grandparents being around as well as the random presents from family and friends.

11 comments:

Emilie said...

I think he looks a lot like Izzy did as a newborn! Such a cutie pie. I hope he starts sleeping more at night and I'm glad the tongue tie/lip tie issue is fixed. Looking forward to your birth story!

Cristy said...

What a cutie!

I was wondering how Izzy was doing. Some kids really embrace the role of big brother/sister. Others, not so much. Glad to hear she's adjusting well.

Gemini.Apache said...

He's beautiful! Hope you start getting some solid sleep soon. It's still hit or miss with Chatlotte at three months. Most nights she makes it until 3-4 am but I'm perpetually exhausted! I guess I should be used to it by now ha!!

Charlotte said...

He's so precious!!! Glad everything seems to be going well so far! That tongue tie procedure doesn't sound very pleasant...glad he made it through like a champ!!

Feisty Harriet said...

HIs legs look so long!!! Yay, baby!

xox

Jess said...

He's adorable! Happy one month! Glad to hear that Izzy is adjusting well, too.

Amber said...

Amazing he did so well nursing from the beginning, even with his lip and tongue ties. I've always heard the opposite! I'm always so impressed with you new momma's that manage the newborn stage/lack of sleep with having an active toddler as well. I don't know how you do it, but like anything else, you just do I guess! Wes is adorable! Thank you for sharing pictures with us!

Amy Jo said...

I must say... I think he looks like Izzy did as a newborn. I'm so glad that things are going well for you and I hope you can get some better sleep real soon. Congratulations again.... He is just perfect

Risa said...

Oh he's so cute! (Clearly I'm catching up after reading part one of your birth story. I'm so happy to hear he's nursing great! Those cluster feedings are no joke. Congratulations on your sweet baby!

Gypsy Mama said...

love the pics! I am son happly things are going son smoothly, especially with breastfeeding. Congratulations!

Gypsy Mama said...

love the pics! I am son happly things are going son smoothly, especially with breastfeeding. Congratulations!