Tonight I have almost 20 ladies coming over to my house for Fondue Night. The last couple of Girls Night Out events have been cancelled because of snow/bad weather so I guess that people are excited to get out of the house!
One of the ladies is bringing over a cheese fondue- not sure what kind. I’m going to make the classic cheese fondue, a Welsh Rabbit (cheese) fondue, and then a milk chocolate/white chocolate swirl fondue. CP was hilarious last night. Because it is GNO, he is going to hightail it out of our house before anyone shows up. But that means that I have to make all of the fondues myself. And he remembers what happened last time I made fondue…
I don’t exactly have a lot of patience. But you have to have that when making fondue. You have to slowly put cheese into the pot, constantly whisking. Last time I just got annoyed that it was taking so long so I dumped the cheese into the pot and then was surprised when it didn’t exactly “come together” as a dish.
So for about 10 minutes last night CP suggested what pots to use, which fondue to start first, when to start making everything, etc. At one point I was hilariously laughing at him with tears in my eyes because I KNOW that it is NOT HARD to make fondue, but the fact that he was taking so much time to give me hints simply showed how worried he was that I was going to screw it up. And despite the fact that he doesn’t go to the Guys Night Out events and has only been to one couple event with me, he doesn’t want his “chef” reputation to get ruined. Hilarious.
So I will do my best tonight to not screw up a couple fairly simple fondues. *crossing my fingers*
Have you ever made fondue? Do you also have hints for me? :-)
4 comments:
I've never made fondue...actually, now that I think about it, I don't know if I've ever 'eaten' fondue!
I know I'm missing out!
Good luck...I know you will do just fine! Patience my dear
I've never tried fondue, but the thought of it makes me really, really hungry. And like Amy Jo said, I'm not sure I've eaten fondue either...
I've never made fondue but I've had it at The Melting Pot. Sooo good.
aw man, it's too late now, but i HAVE made fondue, AND i'm lazy, AND it's possible to do both! for future fondue-ing, the secret is this:
1. grate all the cheese. the hardest part for the non-patient cook, but it will pay off. i use the big ol' grate with the big holes.
2. dump all grated cheese into a big gallon-sized ziplock bag (2 if necessary) and then add some liberal sprinklings of cornstarch into the bag.
3. seal bag, and shake / toss / etc until all cheese is finely coated in cornstarch.
then, when you toss it all into the pot to heat/melt, you can be SO MUCH LESS CAREFUL and devil-may-care about the whisking! you can even dump it all in at once and STILL not ruin it!
hope yours went well :)
Post a Comment