Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.18.2012

Moving stinks


The older I get, the harder it is to move.  Along with all of the furniture that one accumulates when you start to “settle down” in a house, not realizing that you will be moving again in two years, it’s all of the other, stupid, little (but time consuming things) that come with moving.

·         Finding a new hair stylist
·         Changing the address for all of your magazines and affiliations (Fun note: I’m now on my 3rd state since being admitted to the bar only 4 years ago.  None of my addresses have been located in the state where I am actually licensed.)
·         Cancelling cable, gas, electricity, etc
·         Figuring out the documents needed for an IL license and title/registration for the cars
·         Scheduling charity pickups and/or people from Craigslist to take stuff you no longer want/need
·         Eating out more than you would like once it gets down to the last few days because the dishes are already packed
·         Getting an oil change and making sure that your car can handle the drive out to IL
·         Finding new vets/doggie daycares/dog walkers for the puppies
·         Finding new doctors (including infertility docs), dentists, etc.
·         Changing insurance and other policies
·         Finding a new waxer
·         Figuring out the layout of your new town and how to get around.  Where is the closest bank?  Grocery store? Etc.
·         Figuring out the commute to the new office
·         Meeting new coworkers and having to learn their names- my new office is much bigger so I suspect it is going to take a while!
·         Having to start from scratch with our garden.  We may not even have time to put together raised beds and cut down overgrown shrubs before next spring.  That would make me very sad.
·         Making new friends

Some of these things I haven’t encountered yet, but will as the move date gets closer (I’m sure that I am forgetting a bunch of things too.)  I’m really just ready to move into the new house and start unpacking.  Enough with all of this crap leading up to the move.  I’m ready to be out of limbo and back in the same state as my husband!

8 comments:

missmitten said...

Ugh, the last is the worst. But Chicago is just so awesome, I am sure you will find most of these things quickly. Moving plain blows all around!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

If you want any recommendations in the city, I'd be happy to help ... my guess is you're looking for things a bit closer to home. And yes, I'd agree, closing out things related to your old home and revving up things related to your new home is time consuming and can be expensive (because if you're anything like me, then shower curtains don't move with you - ha!)

Christina said...

Moving is very stressful. If you need any help let me know, I remember what it was like to move here from NY.

Luna said...

I totally agree, that is why I am so glad we are moving back to my old hometown, as I already have a good few of these covered! I still go back there to get my hair cut anyway. I wont let anyone but Trudie touch my hair!

Sarah Alway said...

I've never really made any big moves (I live just one hour north of my hometown) so I can't imagine what an ordeal this must be... good luck!

sass @ (In)fertility Unexplained said...

I know. We moved last August and it felt like all I did during the months of May, June and July was plan. I hope you have an easy, uneventful move when it comes time to actually get in the car and drive. Once you're unpacked, though, things get a lot more fun!

Emilie said...

The unknowns are what stress me out when moving. But the cleaning, organizing, purging of junk? I LOVE that.

terra said...

I love the exploration that comes with moving to a new place, but all the boring bits of finding a new vet and doctor and hairstylist drive me crazy. It can take years to find people you click with and trust and I hate leaving behind the people I trust. Good news is that there's internet to help guide you to good services, at least. I can't imagine moving someplace new without the internets.