Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.08.2012

I made it!


I’ll try to make this quick….

Last week the moving process went fairly well.  CP and I had some fights because he didn’t understand why I had to run around town doing errands and packing up stuff in advance, things that were stressing me out.  Ummm hello who wants some random guy packing up your underwear, toiletries (especially the ones that scream I’M INFERTILE), and other potentially embarrassing items?  Not to mention we were told we could save money if we packed some things in advance.  CP thought that I was making things harder on myself, but I saved us some money by returning boxes to U-Haul, by selling a few items on Craigslist, and donating items to the Salvation Army.  Right now, we need to save money so to me it was worth it.  But yeah, I was a bit on edge last week.

I have to say that I am most likely moving-spoiled now.  Having other people pack up our house and then move everything into a truck that they drive across the country for us?  LOVED IT.  Especially because the day that they packed up the truck it was 90 degrees out.  It was a little boring watching other people do the work (it made me want to jump in and help), but instead I sat in the AC and that wasn’t half bad.

After the walkthrough on Thursday night, I finished cleaning the house and set out for central PA with the dogs.  The dogs had been in doggie daycare all day and were thankfully exhausted.  We got into our hotel around 1:30am (I unfortunately got a later start than I wanted to), I threw on a Sleep Machine App so that Buster wouldn’t hear people in other rooms and bark, and slept for about 3.5 hours….until the person above me woke up and started stomping around at 5:30am.  Sigh.  That woke up Buster who didn’t bark, but did start to pace around the room.  I threw on the Sleep Machine App again and fitfully slept for another hour before deciding that it was time to wake up and get on the road.

Friday was spent driving in the car.  It took me about 10 hours, but that was probably because I stopped a bit too often.  Starbucks Refereshers and various NPR’s Freakonomics Podcasts kept me awake and entertained throughout the drive.  It was scalding hot every time I stopped so I would take the dogs for short walks at the rest stops but nothing too long because there wasn’t much shade to speak of.  The closing on our CT house went well that afternoon and CP and I were officially homeless.

The rest of the weekend was spent at my parent’s second home in Southwestern MI.  Buster got to meet my Dad for the first time (and bark at him as he likes to do to strangers, but then later snuggle) and the dogs got to run around the large yard.  They will be heading back there this weekend with my parents so that they are not in the movers' way when they drop off the furniture.

Monday morning CP and I dropped the dogs off at a nearby boarding facility (where they so far seem to be okay despite it being a new place for them) and headed to our closing for our new house.  The seller is still crazy, but everything worked out and we now are IL homeowners (pictures coming soon)! 

Yesterday CP left for a work trip and I had my first day of work at my new office.  Everyone here seems really nice and happy that I transferred to the office.  It’s nice to work in a big city again!  This week I’m staying with my parents in the city while the hardwood floors in our new house get refinished and stained a different color before our furniture arrives.  Saturday our new appliances and all of our furniture get delivered.  Then next week the electrician and the HVAC guy will be working in the house.  It’s getting hard to juggle everything!!

What has been going on with you guys?  I have been trying to keep up with my Google Reader, but I’m still a bit behind.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see the pictures, and I'm glad that everything has gone relatively smoothly. Also, I can second your appreciation of movers. When we relocated to CA we also had movers that actually packed our things. Awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I love movers.

Amy Jo said...

So glad you made it to IL safely! Too bad we couldn't have met up for a drink while you were here in SW Michigan....but, that would be difficult to explain to CP....LOL!

Hope everything with the reno goes smoothly. I can't wait to see some before/after pics!

@JessEsco said...

Wow! That's pretty awesome to have someone pack and move your stuff. I'm jealous! I'm glad you made it ok. Hope the transition is going well for you all. Can't wait to see the pics!

Oh I moved my blog yet again. (justjessatx.com) And we're heading to Disney in about a week. CAN'T WAIT!

@JessEsco said...

Wow! That's pretty awesome to have someone pack and move your stuff. I'm jealous! I'm glad you made it ok. Hope the transition is going well for you all. Can't wait to see the pics!

Oh I moved my blog yet again. (justjessatx.com) And we're heading to Disney in about a week. CAN'T WAIT!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

This is all really exciting!! I think moving is generally exhausting and stressful, but the fact everything has gone smoothly for you guys so far is huge. Fingers crossed this weekend goes well for you, too.

Navigating the Mothership said...

Hoo boy! That's a lot of change in a short time period. Hope you are feeling settled more and more as each day passes.

terra said...

YAY! Glad you made it safely to Chicago! It's crazy how fast all this stuff has happened!