Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

1.13.2014

Feeling more normal

I wish that my last post, as a very sad one, was not post number 1000 for this blog, but I wasn't paying attention. Thank you so much for your kind comments on Koda. We miss her a lot, but it definitely helps to have Izzy and Buster as distractions. The vet made a clay print of her paw that we received late last week. I'm not sure where we are going to put it, but it's a nice reminder of her.

I can't believe that I have been posting since the summer of 2008! Frankly, I still can't believe that people read and comment on my blog! For that, I thank you as even though I have never met you, every single one of you has been helpful in the past 5.5 years. I know that I technically missed International De-Lurking Week, but pretty please leave a comment on this post? Even if it is just "here." And if you have a blog and I'm not reading it, leave it in the comments section!

On to bigger and better things. Now that I am six weeks out from giving birth and suddenly having a tiny infant needing me and my boobs all day and night, I am starting to feel more like myself. Saturday was a great example of this. My doctor gave me the go-ahead to start exercising and running again, so I was chomping at the bit to get back into my running shoes. CP agreed to watch Izzy while I took Buster for my first run in over a year. Getting ready for the run took more time than usual- Izzy was sleeping and didn't want to wake up so I pumped to relieve some of the weight from my boobs before going.

As I was getting Buster on his leash, my iPhone flew out of my hands and fell into his water bowl. I wouldn't be able to run without tunes so thankfully I was able to quickly wipe off the phone and it immediately started to work. Phew! After I finally got out the door, I had not even walked .2 of a mile (to warm-up) before I slipped and fell on ice. Boo. (I now sport a nice shin bruise from the fall.)

The run went well. I walked when the sidewalk got too icy but really did run for most of my time outside, which surprised me. I was glad that I did all of that walking during my pregnancy- maybe it helped keep up with some of my fitness? Despite a second fall on ice towards the end of our run, I ended up run/walking 2.4 miles! When I ran I was in the 11 minute mile range which also surprised me but I'll take it. :-) it was just so nice to get outside and exercise, and Buster quite enjoyed the run as well. As long as CP is not traveling I foresee more runs with Buster in my future as it kills two birds with one stone- we both get exercise!

After a quick shower I was then off to the hair salon to finally get my roots dyed! Between that and getting waxed the day before (Izzy was in tow for this appointment), I felt much better and more put together. It's amazing what a little pampering can do for someone who is getting spit up on and craving a full night's sleep.
Next weekend I am really looking forward to my birthday present from CP- a 4+ hour day at a local spa where I will enjoy a massage, a facial, a pedicure and a manicure. My boobs will be rock hard and hurting by the end, but it will be so worth it! Thank goodness for breast pumps so that I can pump out a bottle or two for CP to give Izzy while I am out. Plus it will be really nice to get out of the house without Izzy as I really won't have a chance to do that this week. CP left for his first work trip since Izzy's birth and I'm by myself all week long. I can do this!

15 comments:

Tia said...

Here! You might want to think about bringing your pump to the spa. It would be a big bummer to be leaking or in pain and not be able to enjoy it fully.

AWESOME on the run/walk! That's super amazing, and I'm really happy that you've eased into motherhood so beautifully. I'm a wee bit jealous :)

Navigating the Mothership said...

I second bringing the pump to the spa. Gives you options :)

And we made an ornament out of our kitty's clay paw print from the vet, which was really nice to get out this year and hang on the tree. Just an idea :)

Anonymous said...

It must feel great to be getting back to yourself. Lucky you that your iphone still worked! I've had terrible luck with water and my phones...

Just T said...

I was curious on how Buster is doing?

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Come the end of the week, you'll deserve that 4-hour pampering!! Congrats on the run - you never really thought that you'd have your own post-pregnancy milestones to hit, too! ha.

KelBel said...

Congrats on your run/walk!! Sorry to hear about the falls. So glad you are doing well. :)

Lanie said...

Present!

Wow, 1000 posts! I had no idea you've been at it that long! Congrats!

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet, Koda. It's so hard losing our pets. But I'm so impressed that you're running…wow! Enjoy your spa day, you deserve it.

JenS said...

I am impressed you are running already. At 6 weeks out there was no way I could do anything that high impact. It just felt like my organs were jiggling around inside me. Plus, I was still sore.
Glad you are feeling back to normal. It's amazing what a little pampering can do. I agree with the previous commenters about pumping at the spa. Do you have a manual pump? You could pump just enough to take the edge off so you can enjoy all your treatments.

Aramis said...

Wow, running at 6 weeks post baby? You, madam, are a rock star. Enjoy that pampering!

Emilie said...

I swear blogger eats my comments have the time - I know I commented on your last post but it's nowhere to be found. I was so sorry to hear about Koda. Losing pets sucks. They are family.

Way to go on the running! Six weeks post baby, too! I don't think I could do it. It sounds like you are doing so well adjusting to motherhood.

Yay for 1,000 posts! I have a loooong way to go because I've started over so many times. I'll be excited to reach 100 in the next few weeks, ha. I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the last several years so I hope you continue for several more!

Amy Jo said...

I wish I would have thought about the clay paw print! I've now packed the idea away for the future.

How is Buster adjusting to life without Koda?

Syl said...

Yay for 1000 posts, running 6 weeks post baby and the upcoming spa day! Sounds like you are acing the mommy game. I'll also suggest taking your pump to the spa.

I have a couple blogs, recipe one: http://kitchentandav.blogspot.com

and our family one:
http://jswilliams.blogspot.com

JustHeather said...

Woohoo on 1000 posts! And huge congrats on running 6 weeks post pregnancy. I don't think I could have done it, I did walk lots though.

Do you have a mini-cooler/thermo bag? Why not quickly pump and save it in a bottle or just pump and dump? It would definitely feel better to take the edge off if you get too full.

Amber said...

Wow. A thousand posts! I'm so glad I found your blog and that you are continuing your story post baby. Great job running already! That is most definitely impressive. I can't wait to just start going for walks! Then running will come. I just don't know when I'll ever have time again!