One of the aspects that has changed a bunch in my life since having Izzy has been my tv watching. If you have been reading long enough, I was a big fan of the Real Housewives franchise....even going so far as to see one of the NJ housewives when she came to a local bookstore (more for the people watching- not to actually buy a book or meet her). I even blogged about it! But last fall, I knew that I had to make some changes. My interest for tv shows such as the Real Housewives, Couples Therapy, and Revenge was waning, so I decided that if I wasn't chomping at the bit to watch the next episode on the DVR, then it wasn't worth my time. Ditto for shows that I still enjoy like Property Brothers or House Hunters. Sure the shows are fun to watch, but really I'm just killing 30 minutes of time instead of getting something useful done. Not to mention that I wanted to pare down the number of shows that I watched that CP didn't watch. So if I was watching tv, it was at least something that we both would watch.
Once Izzy arrived, the tv was in the background during the day early on because she was sleeping so much, I was still recovering from the c-section, and we couldn't go outside because it was SO FREAKING COLD. However, once I was home alone with Izzy with no visitors, the tv was off the entire day so that I could spend one-on-one time with her. When CP got home from work, while she was either nursing or sleeping, we binge-watched the first season of House of Cards and then slowly made our way through The Wire (both are shows that I would HIGHLY recommend). Around 2 months old though, Izzy started to notice that there was a contraption with fancy lights that intrigued her....so off the tv went when she was not in her crib. (The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no tv prior to age 2.)
During the week we only get an hour or two with Izzy before I start her nighttime routine- I certainly don't want to spend that watching tv. Usually we spend the time playing with her, taking her outside, trying to get her to try the puree we have made for her, etc. We usually wait to have dinner ourselves until after Izzy goes to bed so that CP can also get some quality time with her instead of being in the kitchen. Then of course there is cleaning, bills to be paid, household things to be done, etc. all before I can relax.
So what do we deem worthy enough to watch these days in the hour or so that we have before heading to bed?
Game of Thrones
Grey's Anatomy*
Scandal*
Parks and Recreation
Modern Family
Family Guy
House of Cards
Orange is the New Black
Last Week with John Oliver
The Daily Show
True Blood
Homeland
Friday Night Lights**
*These are the two shows that I watch without CP because he thinks they are ridiculous (he is right).
**CP also doesn't watch this show. I watch it on my iPad when I am pumping on the days that I work from home, so it's taking me FOREVER to get through the various seasons.
We may try to watch The Leftovers, the new show that premiers on HBO on Sunday. It looks interesting.
Now that I check out my list, I can see that I have 0 reality shows on it. That is pretty amazing for someone that thought that Temptation Island was the best show in the entire world for a few years. :-)
What tv shows do you deem worthy enough of your time?
7 comments:
Temptation Island was amazing! Based on your list, I think we'd be friends :) We were major TV people before Quinn, but we cancelled cable several months ago and never looked back. I just don't have time for much TV anymore. I am currently obsessed with OITNB though. This second season is SO good!
I'm a reality tv junky. Or at least I was. Now I don't watch much tv at all. The only thing I'm watching is Orange is The New Black. I do turn on Curious George and Sesame Street for the babies for a little bit in the morning. I didn't know about the no tv watching recommendation. Thanks for sharing!
I like a lot of the same shows as you! We are watching the Sorpanos right now, because I never saw it when it was on air. I do feel guilty having the tv on when I am home with Valentina during the day, but so far she doesn't notice it. Once she does I will probably put music in the background instead.
Loved the first few seasons of Homeland... then it just fizzled out for me. Parks and Recreation is laugh out loud funny!
I'm a big GoT fan. I have read all the books and seen all the seasons. I would highly recommend Parks and Rec, especially since it's just a half hour so it's easier to watch than an hour long show. PandR is one of my favorite sitcoms in a long time. It's been consistney good for five season. OITNB is good but CP might not like it. It might be one to watch alone (MV won't watch it with me). Also Homeland is awesome, though intense. It's definitely worth watching but it's not a light hour. ;) Happy TV time!
I very rarely watch TV now. I did not have cable for 2 years when I first moved into my apartment because I couldn't afford it. Now I have basic cable because it's cheaper (go figure) and I still only turn the TV on to do a workout DVD! I do watch a couple shows with Pete on Netflix - Mad Men and Orange Is The New Black, and I keep up with Grey's Anatomy and/or re-watch One Tree Hill on my phone when I'm at the gym.
I love Parks & Rec, and LOVED Friday Night Lights! Currently, I rarely watch TV because E definitely pays attention to it, and like you, I don't have much time with her during the week. But when I get the chance, I'm watching Mad Men and Hart of Dixie on Netflix right now. I may or may not also be watching the Bachelorette (guilty pleasure!).
Post a Comment