Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

8.21.2014

Every time

Every time CP travels to Thailand:

  • By the end of the two (this time three) weeks my caffeine consumption is through the roof.
  • I am exhausted.
  • I am irritable.
  • I do not do as much self-care as I should.  I have great intentions when he leaves cooking healthy things and running the first week....but by the second and now the third week I am too run down.  What kind of take out can I order tonight?  Is a mile walk with Buster sufficient for exercise today? Ha.
  • I thank my lucky stars that I am not a single mother or a military wife. I seriously don't know how they do it. I mean I do because really, you would just do it. But it would suck even more than my situation.  At least I know an end date of help that is not too far into the future.
  • I thank my lucky stars that Izzy is a good sleeper.
  • I am glad that I am not a stay at home mom. Although work is stressful and running to/from the train station in order to get the right trains for me to pick up Izzy and Buster on time is stressful, I do get a bit of a break during the day.
  • I get annoyed because I can't plan anything in advance. I have been trying to plan something with our friends for weeks now.  We are finally going to get together Labor Day weekend but we haven't seen each other since Memorial Day weekend! Which, WHOA summer is basically over.
  • I get frustrated at work because I must leave at a certain time to catch the right train in order to pick everyone up from their daycares (i.e. kid and doggie). That means that even if I am in the middle of something and I am finally on a roll, I have to pack up what I am doing and head off to the train. I don't have a backup for pickup. This also makes it tremendously stressful when the train is running late, or in the case of a few weeks ago, if the train hits and kills someone (it was the train ahead of us but we obviously sat there for a while).
  • I try to keep up with housework- vacuuming, laundry, etc but the garden usually gets the shaft as do other errands/chores.
  • Buster simply doesn't get as much love because there is only one of me and I haven't seen Izzy all day and only get an hour or so with her at night.  She takes priority until she heads to bed.
  • I wonder how the heck I will manage if we have a second child and he travels this much???!??!

Tomorrow CP gets home from his three week work trip.  He missed Izzy crawling, clapping, waving goodbye, pulling up on a step, etc. in person.  He also missed the plague that hit me on Monday morning.  Stomach issues, violent puking, and not being able to keep anything down led me to ask my mom to come to my house after work to help me pick up Izzy at daycare and help me take care of her until she was asleep. Izzy wasn't happy about seeing me but at a distance so I did give in a little bit, but so far she has stayed healthy.  I am still having stomach issues and ate dinner for the first time last night in three days.  Needless to say, I am more than ready for CP to get home.

5 comments:

Navigating the Mothership said...

You poor woman! That sounds so hard, especially the stomach bug bit. Really glad you will have your co-parent back soon. Ugh, travel/partners working a million hours - it's the pits :(

Gypsy Mama said...

I really don't know how you do it!

Amy Jo said...

I'm exhausted just "reading" about what your day entails. All you moms out there amaze me :)

So glad you are feeling better. And even happier that you will have your hubby home with you.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Now that I see how hard solo parenting for a day is, I bow down to the single and solo parents out there. It's freaking hard and exhausting and self care flies out the window. I can only imagine how many struggles I'd face, along with my child(ren). It's incredible when single/solo parents figure out a way to effectively parent, that's for sure!

Amber said...

Whew! CP is home now and I hope that he has been able to give you a much needed break. Actually, co-parenting probably feels like a break at this point! My hubby is leaving for just a 4 day business trip and I am already dreading it. Ugh.