I'd like to think that I was doing well parenting two kids but to be honest, I feel like I am barely scraping by.
Mornings are not too bad. Sure I'm tired when either Wes or Izzy gets me up for the day, but there is always the hope or prospect of a nap later in the day (even if the opportunity never happens). Sometimes I need to feed Wes in the middle of getting Izzy dressed and off to school but a lot of times he is sleeping which is really helpful. Thank goodness she is patient and will do something ("read" a book, have me read her a book, play with a toy, etc) while I am nursing.
How competent I feel as a mother during the day really depends on the day. Last weekend I went up to MI with my mom on a Thursday night because CP was out of town for work and it was nice to get some help on Friday. My dad stopped by my home earlier in the day and reported back to my mom that I seemed "overwhelmed." (This was with just Wes home.) After a disastrous drive down to the city to pick up my mom (Wes screamed the entire time before crying himself to sleep 10 minutes before getting to their house), we stopped to nurse, then he cried most of the way to MI despite my mom's best efforts to put a pacifier in his mouth or calm him down. On Friday Wes had a crying fit during the day and my mom agreed that Izzy was never this difficult. I was actually happy because at least someone else understood what I have been going through.
Another day Wes essentially nursed from 10am to 5pm. I barely got lunch in (he cried the entire time while I ate) and barely peed. Needless to say I got nothing done that day. But then the past two days have been more pleasant and I feel more competent. So maybe we are turning a corner?
Nighttime is always difficult. Especially with CP being gone the past three weeks (during the work week), I never feel like I do a good job of balancing the attention Izzy needs while balancing a hungry Wes. I tend to rush Izzy through the bedtime routine and I think she knows it. On days that he is more calm I can read an extra book or spend a little more time with her, but there are some nights where I am bouncing a crying Wes on me, singing Izzy her songs, just counting down the seconds until I can go downstairs and only deal with one child.
I know that this is just a phase- and a tough one at that while we try to get into a routine as a family of four (or three if CP is gone). How competent I feel really depends on how sleep deprived I am. If I was ever being tortured and was also sleep deprived I would give up state secrets in a second!
But man that guilt is tough. Guilt for not wanting to be on maternity leave anymore. Guilt from wanting to get away from your son (even for a few minutes) to get a break. Seeing other new moms on FB isn't helping because they seem to have their shit together way more than me. I know that what people post isn't always an indication of what is really gong on at home, but still.
In other words, this shit is hard. I haven't be able to post as much as I would like here because getting onto a computer is hard these days when you are needed so often for nursing. I'm crossing my fingers that the worst is behind us but I think that the transition to working mom with two kids will be tough in two weeks as well. I hate that I feel less bonded to Wes than I did to Izzy at this point. I know I shouldn't compare the two kids but it is hard not to. I hate that I am wishing that time would speed up past this hard part. I hate that I am not sad that this is my last newborn. I should be soaking up all of the last "firsts" but instead I am doing the opposite.
I'm not sure how else to wrap up this post other than it may look like I have my shit together these days but it is actually the complete opposite.
9 comments:
I think this is one of the most beautiful posts I've ever written, it's honest and real and, just, REAL. I'm not a Mom, but I think there is so much value in being HONEST about the biggest parts in our life, honest about the guilt, the feels, and shitty parts, all of it. I think we would all be better off if more people said how it really is. For me (the non-Mom), it helps me understand that everyone can use a little help, even if they look like they've got their shit together.
Hugs to you,
xox
I had two at once, so I don't have the comparison of one vs the other in this way. But reading this brought me back to those early days with the Beats and man it was insanely hard. I still have guilt over not being able to bond the way most others I knew were bonding. But the truth was, I couldn't. It wasn't possible. And with you juggling two mainly on your own, you're not going to be able to give the one-on-one time you once we able to when you were parenting only one.
I guess all I can say is I hear you. It is hard. But it will get better, I promise.
Finally, if CP is traveling soon much, is it possible to get a mother's helper? Usually these are high school/ college students who have an interest in nursing/teaching/some profession that would involve children. It's nice to have an extra set of hands, even if it's just for a few hours each day.
Having two kids is hard. At least it has been for me. And I will say that it gets easier, but I'll also admit that for me it still hasn't gotten "easy," (but my older one is a challenge for me to parent).
When my son was born, I felt a lot of guilt over my preference for him over my daughter. I still generally enjoy my son (alone) over his sister. I know moms aren't supposed to say such things, but it's true. My daughter is just a challenging kid, everything is hard with her. My son definitely has his moments, but his overall disposition is just so much more mellow, and easy to be around. I'm not exhausted after a day with him (when he's with his sister, well that is a different story).
I hope reading this makes you feel less alone, or even a bit less guilt (I know how hard it is to let go of that guilt).
I hope CP is home more to help in the near future. A newborn and toddler is super hard WITH help. Without help, it's nearly impossible.
You're doing a great job. {{{{HUGS}}}}}
Oh, this is hard, but you are doing a great job and your kids are both loved and cared for and it WILL get easier. Hopefully CP's travel schedule will lessen at some point soon, too...
Absolutely loved this. Thank you for writing. I'm in a very similar boat. It's great, but it is hard. You are doing so well for those kids. Hope you catch a break soon!
I just want to say that I think this time is hard no matter what. Babies are hard and it's all relative. You have it doubly tough since your on your own a lot. Don't be too hard on yourself!!! At 4 months pp, I still don't have my shit together. This may make no sense since I'm still severely sleep deprived as well haha!
Hugs. And thanks for sharing.
Honestly, one reason for waiting a little longer to try for a sibling is that I still feel quite exhausted just taking care of one. (H doesn't travel much but doesn't actually do much in practical terms of either housework or parenting... so it's largely on me.)
I hope you'll soon have more moments where you feel okay. And that going back to work and the transition to have both in daycare works well - the not feeling bonded enough is the most heartbreaking.
I am with you...this shit is HARD! I found it took a good 3 months to finally feel "settled" after bringing home my youngest. As settled as one could feel, anyway. Although, my toddler is my challenging one. I have a very patient baby, but my toddler is beyond demanding and commanding of my time and attention, so the opposite of what you are dealing with it sounds like. There are definitely days where mommy is just DONE. You aren't alone. It will get better!!
I am so sorry that things are so hard right now. I so appreciate your candor in this post, because so often people sugarcoat motherhood and I could vicariously feel your pain, your exhaustion, your guilt through this post. I hope things get a little better every day, and you can get support while CP is travelling. The solo piece has to amplify all the pieces that are just so hard.
Post a Comment