Lately I have been feeling frustrated at work. Remember my posts from this fall saying that I was a big deal at work and that I love it? Since I started my latest rotation in December, I have been unhappy with the work that has been given to me. I don’t mind once and a while doing office assistant work, but with this rotation, instead of giving me challenging and thought provoking work, I have so far been given a task that a monkey can do.
While I understand that this division is sorely understaffed, it should not give the supervisor carte blanche to throw work at me that others do not want to do. That is not the point of my rotation. I am NOT an intern. I graduated from law school and have skills that they should be using!
My frustration with the work does not include all of the push-back I have been getting from other employees. One woman accused me of trying to take her work away from her. Listen lady, I am only in your division for FOUR months. I can’t take your job! Not only that, but you haven’t been DOING the job for the past five years which is why I have to come in a clean everything up for you! When I tried to get people to use a tracking spreadsheet so that we knew what was coming in and going out the door, I had one old man sternly tell me that, “there is a certain way we do things around here.” Oh yeah? Well, it OBVIOUSLY HASN’T WORKED.
I am halfway done with my rotation and even though I was looking forward to this rotation THE MOST, now I can’t wait to get out of this division. This rotation was supposed to be an assignment where I work on my management skills- if not management of people, than management of projects. I have yet to see any work that even resembles management of anything. In order to salvage the rotation, I think that I will have to talk to the supervisor next week (because I don’t want to deal with it today). I am not looking forward to it.
1 comment:
One way to look at it, is that you learn how not to manage. That is just as important.
I am glad that you are going to ask your supervisor for work. They may have assignments to do but do not know it you are willing to do it.
Only a few more months. You'll get through it.
Post a Comment