Oh how the past year has flown by. My post last September 10th was a plea to CP to propose because it had been four months since we looked at rings…..to that night at dinner where he totally surprised me by doing just that!!!
We haven't planned anything special tonight…..CP didn’t even remember that it had been a year since he had proposed. Silly boys that forget important dates! :-) He did say that he thought it was right around this time….
It has been a crazy year of being engaged….and having to call CP my fiancĂ© will end soon enough (23 days!). Soon I will be Mrs. Non Sequitur Chica and my awesome last name will be gone. *tear* It sounds silly to be attached to a last name, but I have had it for 30 years. Most of my nicknames revolve around it. It has been hard enough to transition into my formal first name at work (as opposed to my informal nickname), how the heck am I going to transition into a totally different last name?
However, as much as I like my last name, I think that it’s important to take his. I don’t want to confuse people by thinking that we are not married because we have two different last names. I don’t want to hyphenate because that makes filling out forms annoying. I don’t want to have to think about what name our kids will use if we end up having any. I will just have to learn a new signature and a new name. It might take a while, but to me, it’s worth it. I know that CP appreciates the fact that I will be taking his name.
In order to keep my last name somewhere in my official name, I am thinking about just adding CP’s last name to mine. So that I would have 4 words in my official name. Current first name + current middle name + current last name + CP’s last name. Will that be annoying too? How does that work when you have to put your middle initial on a form? As in, which one do you use?
If you are married, what did you do with your now-husband’s last name? If you are engaged/ single, what do you think you will do when it comes time to head down to the Social Security office?
5 comments:
First, I had more trouble calling Sweets my FIANCE than I have had calling him my HUSBAND. FIANCE sounds just so pretentious to me. I don't know. I'm weird.
Also, I decided to take on my husband's last name, too (though he was the first to tell me I could keep my maiden name). But, I never was attached to my middle name. So, my legal middle name is now my maiden name. For me, that was the happy compromise to merge my history with my future.
I agree with Nilsa, it was hard to call my fiancee fiancee. I kept refering to him as my boyfriend. Husband seems a bit easier, I don't know why but it does.
I have decided to take HUB's last name. Partly because my former last name is a boy's first name so I can only imagine the confusion. I even get mail for my former Last name, Christina and it so turns me off.
I have not started the process yet but plan to next week. All I know is that I first need my marriage licence, a trip to Social Security and the DMV and a few calls to the banks and other financial institutions, the airlines (To capture my frequent flyer info) and eventually my passport.
Ugh, does not sound like fun!
I'm attached to my last name too!! Also because I'm the last one. My Dad is the last male with our last name, and then its me. :( But I'm traditional in the sense that I want to take Dave's name. And its SO much easier for people to understand! Haha.
My boss did what you did, she added her maiden name to her full name, so now her official name is First name, middle name, maiden name, last name.
My understanding is that having two middle names is also a pain in the ass, though I have no experience with it personally. I thought about doing that myself but decided against it. I also considered dropping my middle name and making my maiden name my middle name, but I cared more about my middle name than my last name so I didn't do that. I just dropped my last name and took his.
I took husband's name, but I miss being "me." We also both have bad relationships with his family, and I don't like being associated with their name now. Changing my name on all 5,458 things was a nightmare, and after a year and a half many things remain in my maiden name. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't change, and my husband agrees!
I do want to change my middle to my maiden name, but post-9/11 it takes a court order and I haven't had the time and a spare $100 to do that yet.
Post a Comment