Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

9.10.2008

I'm not asking much

I'm not asking much. I don't want BF to spend a lot of money on a weekend away, or even an expensive dinner. I don't see him as the type of guy who would take me to a large sporting event to propose (although I love the Eagles, it would be weird to be proposed to at the Linc). I don't see him taking me out to an expensive dinner just to put the ring in my dessert.

What I do expect is something a bit more romantic than the way my dad proposed to my mom. My mom happened to be ironing and my dad said, "I think we should get married." Don't worry, I rag on my dad a lot for the lack of imagination/ romance.

So while I don't need BF to spend extra money on where he proposes, I do want some thought put behind it. Some nice words about wanting to be with me forever, how much he loves me, how much he can't wait to spend the rest of his life with me/ have kids, etc. Maybe even a little story about when he first realized that he wanted to marry me.

The setup could be free. On top of a mountain after a hike. On a little beach that we land on after going kayaking. Something that doesn't necessarily cost any money, but has some signifiance for us.

Then again, I will probably be happy with the proposal whenever it happens. Thank goodness I don't iron so that BF could copy my dad's "charms."

4 comments:

paisana said...

LOL. My mom thought my dad was kidding, until he showed up a couple days later with a ring. I think it's kinda cute.

Nilsa S. said...

Hahaha - that's pretty damn funny about your dad. At least it's better than my dad who proposed to my mom during her freshman year of college and she said no (because he was older and already got to experience college - she wanted a little of the same!). Thankfully, he tried again the next year and she said yes!

And me? I set the Four Seasons rule with Sweets. We had to date at least a year (i.e., four seasons) before he could propose. He was way ahead of me on the marriage front and I wanted us to slow down a bit. And once that year passed? We were on vacation. At the beach in the Outer Banks. And I had just had a tantrum from kayaking (because it was chilly and I was getting wet - real mature). And so, he bought us a picnic lunch. And we were sitting on beach chairs. When he proposed. I wouldn't trade that day for the world (minus my antics early in the day)!

W said...

If you haven't told him that yet, tell him. Make sure he understands that you want him, at least once in his life, to tell you how he feels about you.

I love my husband more than anything in the world, but I never got a proposal, and now I wish I had done it differently. It's a pretty funny story, the way we got engaged, but funny is not really the way you dream it, now is it?

So make sure he knows. You deserve to hear it all, at least once. Me? I have been telling my husband that he should propose to me for the past five years. Never going to happen. It doesn't take anything away from my marriage, and in the long run I know how he feels. But it would have been nice. Just that once. To hear it.

chickbug said...

if you have expectations for what you want, tell him. you don't want the moment to be ruined because it wasn't what you had imagined. but that being said, i'd assume you will be so happy he is actually proposing the location and words won't really matter.