Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

9.04.2008

Opening a possible can of worms here...

I realize that I could be opening a can of worms here, but this is my blog and I wanted to get my thoughts out about Palin and McCain. Disclosure: I will be voting for Obama.

*McCain says that he is impulsive. That if he makes the wrong decision that he just lives with the consequences. McCain met Palin only TWO times before he picked her for the VP slot. He says that he knew about Bristol (Palin's 17 year old daughter) being pregnant, that Palin's husband had a DUI 20+ years ago, and Troopergate. Somehow I don't think that he would have chosen a VP with all of those skeletons if he had really known about them. What kind of advisors is he going to pick if he becomes president? We just had eight years of impulsiveness so obviously that statement makes me worried.

*Being that he is the oldest candidate for President ever, Palin could easily become president. You never know what could happen to McCain. Her experience? She has been governor of a not-so-populated state for only two years and before that was mayor of a small town of 7000. Just because Alaska is closer to Russia than the rest of the US does not mean that she has foreign policy experience (sorry silly Fox News anchor).

*News came out that Palin's husband has been active in an Alaska sucession movement. Palin has also attended meetings. I wouldn't say that someone attending sucession meetings is someone that "puts the country first."

*The person that I feel awful for is Bristol. She isn't Jamie Lynn Spears. She is not used to all of the media attention. High school is hard enough...now the entire nation knows that she is an unwed soon-to-be mother.

*What we should be doing it talking about abstinence-only programs. Palin is pro abstinence-only sex education programs in schools. Uhhh they clearly didn't work. Maybe if her daughter knew about using condoms then she wouldn't be knocked up right now.

*Bristol is lucky in that she will have money and some support as an unwed mother. (I say some support because her mom as VP will be traveling all over the place and will likely not have a lot of time to help out). As governor of Alaska Palin voted against funding for unwed mothers. I guess Bristol is lucky that she is the daughter of a powerful politician.

*It is sad that people are asking if Palin can be VP when she has so many other things going on in her life. People wouldn't be asking a male politician if he could handle it if he had an unwed pregnant teenage daughter and a baby with Downs Syndrome. However, in our society, women are more likely to be the caregivers. That is why this discussion has been brought up. But my parents work with families that have mentally handicapped children and it is HARD. Palin has experience with her four other children, but this is completely different.

*I also don't think that Palin is a go-getter by going back to work three days after having her child. I am not a mother, but don't you need time to bond with your baby? Figure out how you are going to handle raising a special needs child? I hope that she did not do that because she felt pressured by male politicians to get back to work as quickly as possible.

*Pro-lifers are applauding Bristol's decision to keep the baby. While I respect the decision (that may or may not have been made for her), she is probably going to have to drop out of school to raise the baby. She can't legally marry (at least in most states) with the consent of her parents. Does having a baby mean that she won't be going off to college? Why do we want 17 year olds marrying just because they will have a kid together? I know that I personally changed SO MUCH during high school, all throughout college, and even in the years after college. Would they be getting married if she wasn't pregnant? Probably not.

Your thoughts? Feel free to comment, but let's keep it civil.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Palin decision blows my mind.

And when she freaking attacked Obama for running a community outreach 20 years ago last night in her VP acceptance speech, I was BLOWN away. I feel like her being the governor of Alaska is pretty much the same as as running a community Outreach Program, don't you think?

Sheesh. I guess we're lucky Obama has it in the bag, huh?

(I'm obvi crazy optimistic about the impending election)

W said...

I'm afraid this is my first comment on your blog. If it is, I am sorry! I've been reading for a while and I don't usually like to meet people over politics!

McCain and Palin are dangerous, and I don't think anyone really is taking them seriously. We are all sitting round making fun of them, but what if they win?

It's a very real possibility. I have said a million times, and I will keep saying it. This election is riding on a bunch of college kids actually getting out of bed and voting, and a bunch of people who cannot afford to take the day off of work getting out to vote. It is NOT in the bag, and I don't think that anyone is taking it seriously enough.

We know Palin is insane, but she is likeable for a whole group of people that were not terribly crazy about McCain. They have a chance, and heaven help us all if they win.

Libby said...

i totally agree...i am shocked & disgusted (yes, disgusted) by his choice.

palin seems to see the world in black & white which is scary. s-c-a-r-y. the world has sooo many shades of gray that the last person we need in the exec branch as vp (and god forbid if something happened, president) is someone that cannot recognize that.

yay for your post!

Christina said...

I am coming out of lurking (hi)

I have to completely agree with you. I had no idea who she was and what she stood for so when I learned a bit about her the first thing that popped in my mind was "how can he pick her?'

We tried to watch her speech last night but it got us upset and proved to us that she is not ready for this job.

The more and more Iearn about her the more and more I want Obama and Biden to win. I am fearful if they get elected.

Jess said...

I agree with most of this. Also, it makes me sad that people are mocking Obama's community organizing experience, because that is exactly the experience of motivating individual people to do something political. By mocking that kind of work in favor of big political machine work, Palin and McCain are clearly sending the message that they prefer it if regular people aren't involved in politics.

Nilsa S. said...

Agreed with everything you said. I'm doing a political post tomorrow. Please read it and comment and volunteer if you like. =)

SaneAndSingle said...

Applause, applause, applause!