Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

10.09.2009

Honeymoon worries

So, I lied. I started a post about the wedding and because I wanted to write everything down, the post became too long. So I decided to break them up into smaller posts for next week so that you guys will have something to read while I am gone. I planned on a quick recap of the whole weekend, but then decided that I want to make sure that I remember everything- thus the longer posts. Hopefully they don’t bore you. :-)

Hopefully we get out early today as CP and I have a date with Amtrak to head down to NYC. We plan on a short visit with friends that just had a baby about two weeks ago (10 lbs, 7 oz- the wife is my HERO) and therefore couldn’t make it to the wedding and then spending time with friends who made the trek to NH for our big weekend. Then Sunday morning, AFRICA.

That is, after the 15 HOUR flight down to Johannesburg. In COACH. I sincerely hope that CP and I don’t have middle seats AND that we don’t have seats in the way back that don’t recline. I might just cry if that happens. I also plan on playing up the fact that we are on our honeymoon. I know that it won’t get us first class seats, but maybe free drinks? Or a bit better seats? :-)

Overall, I am not worried about the trip, just excited. However, there are a few things that I am wary about.

1. Johnannesburg is a city where you are not supposed to walk around at night. We have one day and one night there at the end of our trip and transportation has been arranged for us to get to dinner and our tour (of the city and Soweto).

2. According to a number of articles, the water in South Africa is one of the best in the world. However, recent news articles have talked about the presence of cholera in the water near Kruger National Park, so I think that we are going to be sticking to bottled water. Even if we have to buy bottled water, I am SO excited to hopefully see lions, elephants, baboons, rhinos, cheetas, giraffes, hippos, etc. Supposedly October is a great month to go because it is fairly dry and with the lack of water, there isn’t as much vegetation for the animals to hide behind. :-)

3. Tofo, Mozambique is going to be…..interesting. I read stories about hotels being double booked and the country’s general lack of knowledge about how to function with tourists. Needless to say, we are going to need PATIENCE. I am a little worried about crime. CP has a huge backpack for his nice digital SLR camera with all of the different lenses and I’m not sure we are going to bring it out too much in this country. I am not bringing my engagement ring so that we don’t attract attention. Not that CP and I are going to spend a ton of time apart from each other, but supposedly I shouldn’t venture away from the crowded parts of the beach as I might get abducted or raped. Fun!

Anyway, I hope to come back with wonderful and amazing stories of all of the animals we will see on land and in the ocean (our first time in the Indian Ocean!). But for now I just worry (just a teensy bit) of the things that could go wrong. Don't worry....I did this before I went down to Buenos Aires and had absolutely no problem down there.

6 comments:

Christina said...

I can see why you will be worried but at the same time you are just being prepared.

Stau safe and have a lovely honeymoon.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Here's a little secret ... my husband and I always fly coach. And he's tall (6'3). He always goes up to the counter at the gate and asks for exit row seats. We have yet to be turned down. That extra leg room is huge for him. I'm hopeful that if you ask for it, you might be rewarded (especially since it's your honeymoon)! Have a really fabulous trip ... I can't wait to read all about your wedding while you're gone!

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Nilsa- I always fly coach too, but I haven't yet for 15 hours! We always try to ask for exit row seats, but we didn't pay a thing for these tickets (thank goodness for United miles!) so I have a feeling that the airline employees are not really going to care.

Lacey Bean said...

I was worried about stuff like that when we were in Costa Rica, but we were fine - just be careful like you're planning on being! :) Have an amazing time - I can't wait to read all about it!

Roxy said...

I have two wows:

1. a ten pound baby... holy vagina. I really hope she had a c-section.

2. AFRICA! It's something I've always dreamed about. I wonder if I'll ever make it there.

I'm so happy you've found a partner with whom you will enjoy the rest of your life.

EP said...

I'm sure I will have the same worries when I am getting ready to head out on my honeymoon. I'm sure it will be OK, though, and a great time for y'all!

My little sister had an internship in SA this past spring, and she loved it so much. I hope y'all enjoy your time there just as much!