So, sorry about the morbid posts the last two days. While this one won’t be Happy! Happy! Smiley! Happy! I at least won’t be talking about death.
Today I received the following email from my contact at the company in Denver that I desperately want to work for:
I received your voicemail this morning. I've been out of the office on spring break with my family which is why I haven't gotten back to you. I did receive the transcript from [my law school] and I'm in the process of working through some details. Please be patient, I'll be in touch with you within the next few days. Thanks!
Soooo…..do you guys think this means good things? I don’t want to get my hopes up too far. I feel like a teenage girl overanalyzing a text/email from a boy that I like to find hidden meanings!
Another thing that is currently bouncing around in my mind is whether to talk to my contact about something they asked one of my references. The company asked my reference whether she thought that I would stick with the job. After thinking about my resume, I have bounced around a bit, but have good reasons for every move that I made.
*First job out of college- left after two years because I was having to work a second job to pay the bills.*Second job out of college- left after a year because although I thought that making more money would make me happy, I hated it. That taught me a very valuable lesson- never follow money!
*Third job out of college- left after a year to go to law school. I was working for a law firm in order to make sure that law school was something that I wanted to do.
*While in law school I went crazy and ended up working at 5 different internships in order to get different experiences. I wanted to get a broad base of experiences so that is why I didn’t work at the same place twice.
*After graduating law school, I have worked here for two years.
Does this sound like a bad resume? I mean, I guess I can see WHY they are asking that question as I have never stayed somewhere longer than two years. But coming out of college (with a SOCIOLOGY degree!), I was kind of lost and moved around in positions trying to find my way. When interviewing, I always thought that my various experiences were an asset to a new company, not a detriment.What do you think? CP mentioned that if I do get this job, I probably should plan on staying with the new company for a while and I wholeheartedly agree. I would stay with my current company if they would allow me to transfer to Denver, but my boss is not quite on board with that….
Motto
“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox
4.07.2010
Too much moving around?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I don't think that's a bad resume at all. Two years is a perfectly respectable amount of time to stay with a company, especially while you are young and still figuring out your education. I agree that it would be great if this job works out and you can stay there for years, but it doesn't always happen that way and sometimes extenuating circumstances arise. I would hope if this were a concern for them they would have raised it in the interview.
Good luck! The email sounds promising.
Post a Comment