Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.25.2010

More changes

So uhhh remember my post a few months back about hating Connecticut? Well…uhhh….I think that we are going to try to move there. *sigh*

CP and I have felt as if we were in limbo for the past two years. We knew that we didn’t want to settle in our small town in MA because it is:

1. Way too small. A town of 7,000 people is not enough people- at least for us.
2. An hour from my work. As in, I commute two hours a day and it makes me want to blow my brains out.
3. The house we rent is nice and we could stay there long term and be just fine, but we do want a place for ourselves. A place where we don’t have to ask our landlord if we can put in raised garden beds. Etc.

For a while I have been talking about trying to move to Denver. CP was fairly confident that he would be able to keep his job if we moved there. He was basically going to spring it on his bosses. Now he is not as confident. And if we are going to bring a child into the world, we really do need to have TWO stable incomes in order to make this work.

We are putting aside our dream to move to Denver….at least for the next few years. We are going to move down to CT and cut my commute significantly. Living closer to an airport will help CP when he has to travel for work. Living closer to a city center in general will help with doctors visits, finding childcare, finding friends that aren’t at least an hour away, being closer to various amenities, etc.

I am actually looking forward to it. I know that I ranted about the state before, but after doing some more research, it won’t be too bad. I can handle it for the next five years or so. So not only will we be trying for a child, but we will be looking to buy a house. Best case scenario we find a place and can move in by the end of September (CP wants to make sure that we get to eat the veggies from our garden before moving). :-)

Our house hunting began this past weekend with NINE hours of driving around to various CT towns to check out neighborhoods, city/town centers, etc. I was a little cranky by the end, but it was helpful. We started out with seven cities we were looking at and I think that we have two that are at the top of our list. I have been asking coworkers about a realtor referral so maybe we will get to see the inside of some places soon!

5 comments:

Christina said...

CT is not that bad, I personally have a distaste for the state but that is for a few personal reasons.

I hope that you narrowed down a few areas so that you can concentrate your efforts there.

Jess said...

This sounds like a very practical plan. Good luck finding a house! And hopefully you will find that CT isn't as bad as you once thought.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

It's exciting to establish roots, even if it's where you least expect it. Like Jess said, it sounds very rational plan ... and hopefully you'll find the perfect niche for you.

justme said...

i love CT and a lot about it. i know, i've never lived there, but we visited there once a year while i was growing up, as it was where my mom was from. i still love going there. it's like a second home to me.

Roxy said...

not the ideal move, but a mature one for sure!

CT is a great start for a family if you ask me. One of my good friends from college is in the stamford area.

You'll make it back to colorado soon enough!