Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

10.19.2010

Charting

So last week I decided that I was going to start charting. I bought a digital thermometer and signed up for Fertility Friend (the free section).

Since I didn’t start right after getting my period, this month will probably be used to get into the habit of sticking the thermometer in my mouth before getting up to go to the bathroom (unless I am lucky in a little over a week and can stop charting for the next 9+ months!). My chart is all over the place so far and there are a couple of reasons why. First, I don’t wake up at 6:30am on the weekends. Thus I am not taking my temperature at the same time every morning. Second, I always have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Last night it was around 3am, previous nights have been earlier or later. This could vary my temperature results, but there is really nothing I can do about it. Third, I have been taking Nyquil for my cold and I have no idea if that affects temperatures at all.

So far CP hadn’t noticed the three high beeps of the thermometer in the morning, but that has been because he has been up and out of the room before me…..until this morning. My alarm clock went off and I reached for the thermometer. I lay in bed until the beeps went off. They must have woken up CP because he immediately asked “what were those high-pitched noises?”

Tonight I’m going to talk to him about charting (something we haven’t talked about before). He doesn’t want our quest to conceive to become more like work….instead of “practicing” because we are in the mood, we jump into bed because it is a good time of the month. Which I understand. But if I am not pregnant by January, I am scheduled for my annual lady visit. It would probably be helpful if I had a few months of charts to show her and maybe she would have some suggestions or thoughts on why we were not getting pregnant. With only a 25% chance of conceiving even if we do “practice” on the right days, getting pregnant is an accidental thing anyway!

4 comments:

Jess said...

I think charting is smart just so you can get to know your cycle. The act of charting doesn't turn babymaking into work--it's all in how you approach it! Also I will say that when I had a cold one month when charting my temps were allllll over the place and I am fairly certain that it was the Nyquil I was taking that threw them off.

Stevie said...

Just like Jess said, it's just a good idea to get to know your cycle better. If you keep track, you may notice patterns that you otherwise didn't notice.

Keep up the practicing! ;-)

Christina said...

There is a way to account for your temp if you get up in the middle of the night or oversleep. It is in the book that I am casually reading "Making Babies"

It give you a formula to help stream line yout numbers to a more realistic skew.

Good luck!!

Meg said...

Good luck!!!!! I really really really really really hope it happens SOON for you guys!