Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.29.2011

August plan

My plantar fasciitis has been doing a bit better lately. I don’t hobble as much in the morning. I am happy about this because (obviously) it is nice to not be in pain and because I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do the Hartford Marathon Relay with friends. The event is October 15th with 5 legs: 10K, 5 miles, 5K, 10K or 5.7 miles. I don’t want to be the person that does the 5K- because in my crazy mind it will look to others like the biggest person on the relay team is running the shortest distance because I can't physically handle long runs). That means that I have to get up and start running NOW so that I can be ready to run 5-6 miles by mid-October (aaaaaaand hopefully not be the slowest person out there).

I ended up running two slow miles yesterday. I didn't want to push too hard on my first run since June 5th. It felt nice to get out there and I didn't have any heel pain. Sadly, that was my first run IN ALMOST A YEAR without heel pain. Hopefully the pain will stay away. If it doesn't....well...I ran an entire half marathon training program and race with the pain so I will just run through it again. (Clearly that would NOT be ideal, but what can you do?)

Currently my worry is shin splints that literally just started to hurt this week. I have been doing a ton of walking with the dogs and I must not be wearing shoes that give me enough support because walking should be LOW IMPACT. I have had shin splints before- both in high school and college when playing tennis. They aren’t fun, but they are probably something that I can run through if need be. I will just start to ice and pop Advil when necessary.

But I have even more of an exercise plan in mind. Not only am I going to be starting up my running again, but I also have a recent Groupon for 30 days of unlimited yoga at a nearby studio! My plan is to go yoga-crazy the month of August because the pool at my gym is closed for two weeks anyway. With the plantar fasciitis and the shin splints, maybe I do need to spend more time stretching. And if I am getting back into running, I will need to do even MORE stretching.

I’m pretty excited and hope that I can follow through with a yoga class at least three times a week. Couple that with running and hopefully I will also have lost a few pounds before the two weddings we have to attend in early September!

Are you starting a new exercise program in August?

2 comments:

Emilie said...

One of my cousins is running in that relay marathon! I envy people who run...I absolutely hate it. We bought an elliptical a couple months ago that has been collecting dust so I am hoping to start using that somewhat regularly. I have several yoga dvd's, but I feel like I can never get the poses right. I wish there was a yoga or pilates studio near me, I would love to try either of those! I've got a pilates tape that I used to do regularly, but I have no idea if my form was ever correct when I did it.

terra said...

Shin splints are the absolute worst. I used to get them so bad, and still do if I don't stretch out my shins enough. I'll get to the point where the muscle on top of my shin will be sore to the touch if I over do it. It sucks.