Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.16.2012

Job hunt


Two days later I think that I am finally out of my funk.  I’m not sure if it was the whole Mother’s Day stuff, PMS, a combination of the two, or something completely different.  I just felt CRANKY and OFF the past two days (poor CP).

But today is a new day and although I am a bit sleepy, my mood is finally better.

For one, I received word that I won an award at work for an event that I put together and participated in.  It was so unique that I was given a cash award.  Woo hoo!  Of course it won’t be much once taxes get taken out, but hey, it’s something for my resume and I’m not going to turn down a few extra dollars.

Those few extra dollars might go towards polishing up my resume though.  Last week I applied to three jobs in Chicago and joined TheLadders dot com for a free 14 day trial.  A resume critique came with the trial and the reviewer basically told me that my resume is outdated and I’m not showcasing my talents.  I can totally see that because it is the same resume format that I have been using since college.  I’m sure things have changed quite drastically since then.  So for only $495 (ha!) someone will retool my resume.  I know that it is a lot of money, but I’m kind of tempted (has anyone used TheLadders?) as I already have my first “we have gone with another candidate” rejection.

Last night I told CP that even if he doesn’t get the job in Chicago that I am going to start looking for a new job here in CT.  I know that I say this every few months and there are valid reasons as to why I shouldn’t leave my job (my accumulated vacation time and sick time if I get pregnant for one)…..but I am not pregnant.  And there is no end in sight to my infertile ways so why not get a job where I feel useful and happy?  Even with taking on the work of my retired coworker I am still bored.  CP says that when he sees it, he will believe it.

After almost four years of being unhappy at work, it’s finally time to change that.  Hopefully with a move to Chicago and a new job!!  


*UPDATE*  I just got an email from my boss saying that as long as Corporate HQ approves the transfer to the Chicago office, the Chicago office would love to have me.  I know that things wouldn't change as far as hating my job, but if HQ does approve this then I wouldn't have to scramble around trying to find a job in the next few months and instead could take my time.

8 comments:

Tia said...

When will CP hear about the job?

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

The best kind of job hunt is a paid one. =)

Anonymous said...

Do not use the ladders! Its a scam...google ladders scam. They tell everyone their resume is essentially crap. Avoid!

Luna said...

oooh, that all sounds like a good plan. I hope you have the chance to really look about and find something you really want to do.

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Wow Anonymous- thanks for the tip! I just read a resume critique online that sounded ridiculously similar to the one that they gave me. Thanks for saving me money!

Ginger said...

I'd stay away from the Ladders thing--but it CAN be a good idea to have someone review your resume, even if it's just a couple of friends. Ideally, someone in HR or someone who has had to hire people recently. Last time I redid my resume, it was really helpful to have someone besides me look at it to see if it read the way I thought it did (hint: it did in someplaces, but not others).

terra said...

Even if your current place will let you transfer, I think you're doing the right thing by looking for a new place. You hate where you're stuck now and it doesn't sound like a transfer would make it much better so why not put feelers out there and see what you hit. Who knows - you might find a company with amazing maternity benefits that doesn't require you to stockpile tons of leave.

Ginger said...

Also, FYI, a friend of mine who used to be in HR now offers resume/CL reviews as part of her business for way less than $500. IF you're ever interested, I'd be happy to connect you.