Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

11.16.2015

Schoyer protocol

This morning I saw blood after I went to the bathroom. I am not sure if this is going to be an issue as I haven't finished my protocol and I am only on Day 25 of my cycle.

Let me back up. At the end of last month I met with my RE to discuss the failed IVF-turned IUI cycle and gear up for the next one. My doctor decided based on my high FSH level at my baseline last month that the flare protocol (also named the Schoyer protocol) would be the way to go (sorry ladies, she did not come back from the conference with a miracle protocol- but I did ask!).

The protocol looks like this:
11/13- put on Minivelle patch (this was Day 22 after a Day 20 blood test to make sure that I ovulated)
11/14- 250 dose of Ganerelix
11/15- take off old patch, put a new one on and 250 dose of Ganerelix
11/16- 250 dose of Ganerelix
11/17- take off old patch, put a new one one
11/19- take off old patch, put a new one on and keep it on until it falls off or HCG trigger

The hope is to make my body produce more antral follicles for the next cycle. But my body may have screwed things up with a period at least 3 days early. Now I wait for my nurse to give me the good or bad news.



*UPDATE- My nurse finally got back to me and it's not a big deal if my period has started. I just may have my baseline appointment a few days early....

4 comments:

Jess said...

Yikes, it's always scary when something happens that makes you think that a protocol is doomed. I'm glad the bleeding isn't a nonstarter and you can have your baseline, just early... this protocol looks interesting! I hope it's the ticket to getting more robust antral follicle counts. Good luck to you as you get started, a little earlier than you thought you might.

Alice said...

It's fascinating to me how different the various protocols are! So with this protocol, is it all focused on prepping for the next cycle? What will the HCG trigger do in that case? (Or are you keeping the last patch on for like 3 weeks?)

Ha, I also called my nurse last weekend because I unexpectedly got my period. I mean, it made sense (I had been off BCP for 2 days after taking it for 19) but no one had *mentioned* I might get my period in the gap between starting stims. Glad it's not a big deal for your cycle either!

Jess said...

Glad it turned out not to be a big deal! Fingers crossed this upcoming cycle is the one!

Amber said...

I've actually never heard of this protocol. Amazing how many different protocols there are.