Winter Day in the Life- 2016
CP-39.5 years old
NSC- 37 years old, 12 weeks pregnant
Izzy- 2 years old
Buster 4.5 years old
I haven't done a weekday post in a while because generally they result in a smaller number of pictures and aren't as exciting, but I wanted to document a day while CP was away for work (he was in China). This was my Tuesday.
12:06- Izzy cries out for me and doesn't go back to sleep so I head into her room. She first asks for "medicine" but I say no, then she wants a hug and to rock in her rocking chair. I tell her that I will rock her for one minute, which we do, before I put her back in her crib and tuck her in. I take the opportunity to pee for a second time already tonight. I have been in bed for two hours already but I can tell that I have had a weird sleep already as I woke up with the kleenex box in my hand, thinking that it was something else in a dream.
4:00- I wake up to pee again then head back to bed. I had no water past 8pm yesterday so where is all of this pee coming from? This is something I ponder every night as I get up to pee way too often.
6:00- alarm goes off on my phone and I am not ready to get up yet. I set a 20 minute timer in hopes of falling asleep again. I got highlights to cover my grays yesterday so I won't shower this morning as to keep my straight hair so I should have some extra time.
6:22- 20 minute timer goes off and i reluctantly get out of bed, pee again, wash my face and armpits, put in contacts and face stuff for the day. I look at the weather for the day and it currently feels like -12. Excellent. I guess I will wear my new warm sweater I bought yesterday. Buster starts to get antsy so I get dressed and head downstairs to let him out.
6:40- Once Buster is outside I grab his food bowl and get him food in the basement. I come upstairs, drink some orange juice and let Buster in to gobble up his food while I heat up a croissant in the microwave. I quickly eat the croissant with a little butter while I get Izzy's milk ready. I also grab a banana, apple, yogurt, and soup to bring to work.
6:50- I head upstairs noting that I am already running late. The good news is that Izzy is already up as opposed to some mornings when I go into her room and she tells me she is "still sleeping mommy. Go away." She pops right up and starts to hand me her panda. I turn off her heater, humidifier and nightlight, and grab clothes for her. She hands me a duck and a bear from her crib to put on her changing table as well. I also grab a tissue as girlfriend has some serious snot coming down her nose.
I change her diaper and put her into her clothes while she drinks her milk. Izzy requests braids for the day and I figure that I'm already late so I brush her hair and put them in. Right before we head downstairs I remember to grab an extra shirt to bring to daycare (she came home in her back-up shirt yesterday) and she sees her llama sweater and requests to wear it to school. As we head downstairs Izzy notes that it is dark outside.
7:05- I should have left already but instead I run outside to start the car to warm it up a bit while Izzy watches me from the window. Once back inside we head into the kitchen to both eat one prune before I help her put on shoes, get her in her jacket, hat, and gloves while I get mine on as well. Leash goes on Buster and I get Izzy in the car first before getting Buster in the back, locking the door, and leaving by 7:14.
At this point I know I can't make my usual train. Izzy is quiet as she drinks her milk and I listen to an NPR story about Bernie Sanders campaigning in Alabama.
We pull into the daycare parking lot, I make Izzy walk inside instead of carrying her, sign in, and head to her classroom. We put her hat and gloves in her cubby and hang her coat up before she asks for a couple hugs and a kiss. She then wants to give her teacher a hug so I slip out of the room at that point.
Buster is calm until we pull in the doggie daycare parking lot and he starts barking because he is so excited. I drop him off, still barking, where he is greeted by his two favorite daycare workers.
I finally pull into the train parking lot 7 minutes after my usual train left so I make my way into the station building, get a drink of water from the water fountain, and sit down, starting to write out the day so far. The next train comes about 10 minutes later so I hop on, heading downtown.
I check some emails on the train seeing that CP still feels like crap in China. He thinks he has food poisoning, possibly from the flight over, and someone there got him an antibiotic (no prescription needed in China!). Hopefully he starts to feel better. It's a 14 hour difference from where he is in China and Chicago so it makes it really difficult to talk. He also forgot his iphone and ipad charger (older models) so we are using skype with his computer instead of Facetime. Unfortunately we haven't been able to connect much but at least he is home on Saturday.
8:25- My train gets into Chicago and I am late. Thank goodness for a flex schedule (I can get in as late as 9:30). I had a freezing walk to my office and wait in a long line for chai latte as I am going to need some caffeine.
![]() |
| My computer desktop screen at work. It definitely needs to be updated! |
I meet with a coworker from 9-12:15 to prepare for upcoming event. For lunch I eat some soup brought from home and a yogurt before catching a cab to my afternoon meeting because I am too late to walk.
1-2:30 I run the meeting then walk back to office in the bitter cold. My upper legs and face are freezing and I curse myself for not bringing a scarf. While I walk I listen to the podcast Jesse vs. Cancer. The rest of the workday I send/reply emails, talk to my boss, eat an apple with peanut butter and handful of trail mix.
4:30- I chug the rest of my water before leaving work which probably won't end well. I listen to Jesse vs Cancer during my walk to the train. During my ride I catch up on Feedly posts while I have some cramping/pain in the uterus area. I also have to seriously pee from chugging the water before leaving work (to no one's surprise). My train arrives at my station and I run into the bathroom- sweet relief. I'm in the car by 5:30 and on my way to pick up Buster. His best friend Finnegan, a Irish setter, finally came back to daycare today (he had a shoulder injury) so Buster got a lot of play time today.
5:45- I pick up Izzy and am relieved to hear that she napped (this doesn't happen every day). There is a basket of crackers by the door and the ritual is that she grabs one and has them in the car ride home....however, there are no more left so she is pretty sad. On the car ride home she talks about the fact that there were no crackers and how green light means go, yellow light means slow down, and red light means stop ("top!").
As soon as we get home I get everyone in the house and grab a few crackers for Izzy. I grab the iPad to try to Skype with CP but he is not there. :-( Another missed Skype session. We go down to the basement to get Buster's dinner before heading upstairs so that I can change clothes.
![]() |
| Crackers! |
I realize that I have to use the bathroom so of course Izzy has to join me. :-/ For dinner I throw a frozen pizza in the oven.
6:30- After two bites of pizza, a tangerine, and a few bites of broccoli, Iizzy sits at table until I finish with dinner. I'm pleased that she is being so patient tonight as usually when she is done with her food she wants to get down as soon as possible. It's 6:53 so I tell Izzy that we have 7 minutes to play before heading upstairs.
Izzy loves her play kitchen so she heads over to "wash the dishes". I let Buster out to go to the bathroom and when he gets back, Izzy wants to give him a treat. I hand her a few small treats and she places them on the ground in a few different rooms.
7:05- We head upstairs with the new double monitor (our old one broke a few nights before). I set it up while trying to get Izzy not to play with it and then we head into the bathroom to brush teeth. Izzy then sits on potty and pees! She wipes, flushes potty, and then washes her hands. I did laundry over the weekend so we finally put her clothes away. I then get her pajamas on and put some lotion on her because she is itchy. We quickly make a video for CP with Izzy saying hi and singing her ABCs a couple of times. I read two Curious George books, sing "You are My Sunshine" and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." I notice that it sort of hurts my belly to have Izzy lay against it. Once we are done singing I tuck her in with all of her stuffed animals.
7:57- I leave Izzy's room but she needs one more hug before going to sleep. I head downstairs, turn on the tv and start to watch Downton Abbey. Buster realizes that it's his turn for some attention with Izzy now in bed.
![]() |
| Buster needs petting |
9pm- I head upstairs because I keep hearing Izzy cough on the monitor. I decide to wake the beast up to give her some Zarbees cough medicine in hopes that her coughing lessens. I end up staying upstairs and watching the news in my bedroom.
9:45- Izzy calls out so I get her some water then tuck her in again. I turn off the tv and hope for a good night of sleep.
10:45- Izzy calls out again so I get her a little more water before heading back to my bed. Thankfully she sleeps the rest of the night, but I have a restless sleep all night long.






9 comments:
Haha about the Kleenex box when you were sleeping. I once grabbed the cat and wouldn’t let go… and ended up waking up when she scratched me.
And how horrible that CP had food poisoning. Nothing like being sick when you are away from home.
I love that you dog has a best friend at doggy daycare. As a cat owner I can’t imagine that happening.
Oh man, CP being sick in China sounds AWFUL! Also, YAY to being pregnant!!! So exciting, congrats!
Oh how I remember those pregnancy sleepless nights and having to get up and pee so often. Izzy looks so tall standing by her kitchen! Her and Buster are both adorable. You are a rockstar momma for doing the solo parenting thing as often as you do. I would imagine that traveling and being away from home so much is hard for CP as well. I know it's always hard for tony when he is gone, and that's not very often!
I love that you documented a weekday ... Wow! What a busy day.
Echoing what Amber said, I'm in awe as you do so much on your own! I also think it's adorable that Buster has a best friend! Dogs are such social creatures!
You sound like one busy mama! So cute your dog goes to daycare. My poor dogs....
I enjoyed reading this. Amazing how hard parents work each day. I know it's been this way since the beginning of time, but still, wow. Izzy sounds like she is doing great. I'm right behind you in my own pregnancy - 10 weeks. My daughter is a smudge younger than Izzy as well so I enjoy reading as we go through similar phases.
Whoa, busy busy day. Love the sweet pictures of Izzy as usual, and I hope you are feeling better. I hope you get a less busy day soon, too!
Woah, kid daycare/doggie daycare/train to Chicago and hubby is a gazillion miles away. That's a lot. Seems like you're doing a great job keeping it all together though. Hope there are more restful nights in your future.
Post a Comment