Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.21.2008

BF Background

So I know that I said that I was going to continue my posting on law school and what it is like, but something more exciting (at least for me) came up. First, a little background.....

BF and I have been together for close to three years. We met on match.com. HA HA! I always laugh when I think about it, but our lives were oddly similar before we even met. We grew up in two different regions of the country, but went to the same small college. We even had similar friends, but never knew each other. We both lived in a mid-atlantic city at the same time, but never met. When I started law school, I decided that I was going to hit up match.com to maybe go on some dates, or just find some friends outside of law school.

One day I get a message from BF saying that it was nice to see a fellow alum out west. We spoke over email A LOT for the next couple of weeks, finally deciding to meet at a sports bar to watch our respective football teams play. A few days before we were supposed to meet, he emailed and said that he wanted to keep it as a friend thing. I thought, okay....so he didn't think that I was cute or whatever but he could be a great friend. We ended up hanging out for eight hours that day watching the games and hanging out. I thought he was cute and was sad that he didn't think the same, but thought that we could have a good time as friends in the future. But as he walked me out to my car? He gave me a quick kiss! I was very surprised and even a little bit confused.

Later I found out that because I talked about all of my sports on my profile he didn't think that he would be my type (silly boy...he was an athlete at one time too) and didn't want to get shot down, so he did it first. What a charmer. ;-)

At this point, I was still seeing two other guys at the same time but decided to drop them (although one WAS taking me to football games for free every weekend.....) because hi? I was in first semester of law school and didn't have time to juggle lots of boys. Turns out I made a smart choice. For the next month I would see BF about twice a week so that I would have enough time to study.....boy was it hard dragging myself away though.

Then? About a month and a half into our relationship BF's company told him that they wanted to move him once again. I was sad, but what kind of say do I have after only knowing him for a month and a half? Turns out, he wanted to put his personal life first and told his company that he was staying put as he had met someone (ME!!). I was floored because BF almost lost his job over this decision. Luckily, BF worked it out with his company for him to travel a lot instead of getting fired.

After first year was over, I did a study abroad program in South America. Because I played two sports at a Division 1 college I never had time to do a study abroad program...so I figured that law school was the last time I would ever have a chance to do so. BF was supportive...but that month and a half away from each other was tough because it was too expensive to talk every day and I didn't always have internet access. Luckily, BF's company allowed him to come down at the very end of my program to visit for 10 days.

Soon after starting second year, BF decided that he wanted to buy a place. The place he bought? One block from where I currently lived. For a while we would move from one place to another, towing the dog and usually some cooking ingredients from condo to condo. It was working out great, but then BF's company was making him travel every Monday through Friday. Finally, we decided that it was silly to continue living apart because we spent most of the time together... so I moved into his place and sold my condo.

Fast forward to this summer. BF and I have been living together for over a year. Because he stayed out west for me at the beginning of our relationship, I told him that I would move to where he needed to be for work, as long as it was near a big city so that I could get my dream law job. So that is how we ended up in the northeast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic story! I'm also oddly curious where in the Northeast you are, because you know that's where I am!