Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.24.2008

A girl can dream can't she?

Growing up, we always had a dog. Our first dog was was a Dalmatian, but I was too young to really remember him. We then got an English Setter who was a great dog, but very high strung. Unfortunately, his life ended early when he got hit by a car. The last dog we had while I was growing up was a Black Labrador. He was the best.

After college I wanted a dog, but didn't think that I could handle the responsibility as a single person. I wasn't home at normal hours and left the city a lot to visit friends all down the east coast. I didn't think that I could spend the time that was necessary to train a dog and felt that it wouldn't be fair. I also had no idea where my life was going at that point and didn't want to get a dog, only to have to give it up in a few years.

But right before I started law school, I started to think that it was once again time to get a dog. My parents warned me that I would not have time to take care of a dog as a first year law student. After my first week I agreed! But then, as luck would have it, I met BF my first semester of law school and low and behold? He had a dog. And not just a dog but the cutest, furriest, best dog EVER!

Don't you just want to snuggle with her?


How can you say no to a face like this?
She really is the sweetest, most friendly dog you will ever meet. At 100 lbs, she has no idea how much she really weighs! Then, as third year rolled around I started to think about how much fun it would be for her to have a buddy. Once in a while when I was bored in class I would go on to various shelter websites and look for Bermese Mountain Dogs....or Saint Bernards...or Great Pyranees...or various combinations. Once, I was ready to drive to a neighboring state to city about 7 hours away for a puppy that was part Great Pyranees, part Bermese Mountain Dog. Seriously the cutest puppy EVAH.
But, as much as I wanted a puppy, there were a lot of things up in the air this past year....where I would get a job, where we would live, etc. BF even thought about getting me a puppy for graduation (OMG!)....after the bar was over of course. However, my dream is still just a dream right now. While I am really excited about my job that starts up in about a month? My commute is probably going to be at least an hour. And BF's commute the opposite way? Most likely at least an hour too. That means that getting another dog (especially a puppy) would be unfair. *tear*
Until then, I dream of a dog like this or this, or even another one of these. So, uh, can you tell that BF and I are big dog people?

2 comments:

SaneAndSingle said...

This is exactly why I got cats. They are more self sufficient and less time consuming. I do love dogs also, but I don't have the time to give for training and whatnot. Now, I'm just the crazy cat lady. Although, I'm told I need at least 2 more cats to earn the title! :)

Jess said...

I am DYING for a dog. Our current building does not allow pets and it is driving me CRAZY that we can't get a dog. But the apartment is perfect in every other way, so we aren't moving yet.