Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

9.30.2010

Walking pain

For the past month or so I have been walking around in pain. From a quick search on the internet, I figured that it was due to wearing flip flops this summer while commuting to and from work and on the weekends. I love my Teva flip flops, but also know that they are not very supportive for my feet.

I finally went to see a doctor about it and the first thing the office wanted me to do was get an X-ray. Wait, so you want my insurance company (and me) to pay for an X-ray that I might not need? Why don’t I get to see the doctor first and THEN he can decide that I need an X-ray? It didn’t matter anyway because as soon as I got into the X-ray room I saw a sign saying that if you are pregnant or may be pregnant to tell the nurse. Because it is a slight possibility, I got the nurse and we decided to put off the X-ray until visiting with the doctor.

Turns out I didn’t need an X-ray and I have Plantar fasciitis. It makes me laugh that it is what is wrong with me because as of about a year ago, every time I heard that an NFL player had the same thing, I would wonder why so many football players were getting warts on their feet! Thankfully I am NOT the only one that equated Plantar fasciitis with warts….as soon as I told CP about the diagnosis he said, “you have warts?!?”

So no, I don’t have warts, but the tissue that runs from my heel to the sole of my right foot is inflamed and it hurts. I am in the most pain in the morning when I get out of bed, but even walking a lot hurts.

Image via Google Health

I seem to have some of the common causes of Plantar fasciitis:

· Foot arch problems (I have high arches)

· Sudden weight gain (Sadly I have gained back ALL of the weight I lost for the wedding which means I kept the weight off through January and have since gained 30 pounds. GAH!)

· Tight Achilles tendon (I really need to take up yoga. My muscles are way too tight, despite the fact that I stretch after working out).

While I am glad that I finally know what is wrong with my heel, it still sucks. With stretches and applying pressure to the tissue a few times a day I may be able to walk and run without pain in a few months. My doctor said that there is no reason for me to stop running in the meantime (I say that like I have been running more than once every two weeks- ha!).

Meanwhile I am PISSED at myself that I gained all of the weight that I lost so hard to get rid of. I desperately need to join a gym to get back into a routine. Losing weight will do wonders for my self esteem (not wanting to take your clothes off for your husband when you are trying to get pregnant makes conceiving more difficult) and will hopefully alleviate some of the pain I am having in my foot.

So yeah, time to buckle down on the eating and start working out again. *sigh*

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had that twice. I have very flat feet. One of the remedies you can try at home is to roll your foot with a bit of pressure on a cold or frozen can of soda. I actually bought a small grooved foot roller to take with me to work, etc, so I could roll on it under my desk. It did alleviate some of the pain. The key is to also stretch the feet or use a roller at night so it's can lessen the pure hell that is standing up in the AM. The pain eventually does go away, have faith! It takes a while, but it does vamoose. Good luck!

- Mon

Kate said...

Owie! My sister had that too. And rolling it on a can is right on, just like anon said!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I found the thing I bought to use at work...it puts good pressure on the right areas and is small so I can put it in my purse.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Foot-Wheel-10657.aspx

- Mon

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I have a very good friend who spent years fighting plantar faciitis (while she was an emergency medicine resident, no less - ouch is right!). I know she tried the rolling techniques mentioned by anon. I think she also wound up getting braces for her feet ... she only wore them while she slept, but they helped keep her feet in place so they weren't sore in the mornings (though the braces certainly aren't going to contribute to your willingness to undress for CP - ha).

Anonymous said...

I used to be a massage therapist and the best method I know of is to soak your feet in cold water (as cold as you can stand it) at night before bed and then rub your arches against the muscle tissue (from side to side, rather than the usual heel to toe/up and down motion). The pain is not as bad in the morning, and I found after a couple of weeks of doing this every night, the plantar fascitis is mostly gone.
As for the weight gain, I got nothing. I've been going to the gym for 4 months and haven't lost a pound (though people tell me they can see a difference...).
Good luck with both!

funderson said...

BOOO! I've had that from time to time...the streching helped a lot for me.

Meg said...

Ugh, that sounds terrible!!!! I have absolutely no words of wisdom for you regarding the foot pain.
But maybe getting back to the gym will help get you pregnant? I dunno, releasing hormones or something?!

terra said...

Ouch! Anything having to do with feet hurting makes my own feet exhibit sympathy pain. I've been very lucky to never have any issues with my high arches. Hope they start to feel better soon!