Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

3.28.2012

Working outside

CP and I tackled another outside project this past weekend. Before we moved into our house we tried to get the seller to take out a tall and intrusive metal pole encased in concrete out of the backyard. At some point it was used as a laundry drying line, but it looked pretty nasty so I can’t imagine that the seller used it. But she refused to get rid of it after the inspection so we had to live with it.

A few months after we moved in CP and I tried to take down the pole on a random Sunday. We dug a huge hole and looked like monkeys trying to hang on the pole to force it out of the ground….but to no avail. The concrete was too heavy and too far down for us to remove the pole.

Fast forward to this past weekend. CP and I started talking to one of his neighbors who is working on his front steps. He rented a jackhammer and we asked if we could use it if he had time left on his rental. Sure enough he offered it up a few hours later and we were ready to tackle the monstrocity in our backyard.







We made quick work on the concrete with the jackhammer (I even got to try it!) and kept digging, finding more and more concrete. Whoever put this thing in our backyard was really worried about it falling over. They went seriously overboard with the concrete. We kept pulling out mud and digging around the pole, once in a while acting like monkeys and hanging on the pole to try to flip it out of the hole.



Finally the pole was at enough of an angle that CP and I both started hanging on the pole and it broke. Success!! The combination of our weight and a tiny hole in the metal pole from the jackhammer was the clincher. From there it was easy to pull the pole out of the hole.




We didn’t plan on this being one of our projects this spring but I am SO HAPPY this is out of our backyard!!! Our town will allow us to recycle the concrete and the metal pole so all we have to do is get it to the recycling center (which means cutting the metal pole somehow this weekend).




Now we have to fix the big hole that is in our backyard....

1 comment:

terra said...

So weird! I wonder what it's original purpose was and why someone felt the need to use so much concrete...