Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

6.18.2012

Consultation


This morning CP and I went in for a consultation with our fertility doctor.  We came away with a few bits of insight:

·         Generally, if 3 IUIs don’t work, then it is time to move on to a more aggressive treatment.  Our doctor suggested that a fourth IUI wouldn’t be in our best interest. 
·         The doctor briefly outlined the IVF process.  Fertility drugs starting on day 2 and lasting 8-10 days (aka injections into my stomach) with frequent doctor visits to monitor growth and figure out if drug dosage needs to be tweaked.  Egg retrieval where they knock me out and grab the follicles/eggs trans-vaginally.  The procedure shouldn’t be a big deal- you don’t even leave the office with a pain prescription.  Then the eggs are sperminated and 1-2 embryos inserted into me.  If there are leftover embryos then they are frozen for a cycle either the following month or later down the road if the IVF works.
·         Because of CP’s sperm analysis and his 2% and 4% readings of “good sperm” that might be the reason that the IUIs are not working.  I thought that because he had great samples (aka a lot of sperm running around for the IUIs), we were in the clear, but apparently we are not. So because of his sperm analysis, the doctor recommended a more expensive IVF procedure that injects a single sperm into an egg to fertilize instead of putting the sperm and egg together in a dish and allowing the sperm to fertilize by themselves. 
·         The doctor estimated that if CP’s new insurance didn’t cover IVF then it would most likely be $15,000.  If the first fresh cycle was unsuccessful, then future frozen cycles would be much less expensive (more like $5,000).  We find out about CP’s insurance on Monday- and we are crossing our fingers and toes that it covers IVF!
·         I asked about my endometriosis and whether it could come back/be a problem.  The doctor surprisingly said that there have been two studies on Stage Two endometriosis and whether it effects fertility.  In one study the woman that had the endo taken out via surgery and got pregnant more often than women in the control group that didn’t have the surgery, in another study the surgery didn’t make a difference.  The doctor also said that the endo usually doesn’t get any worse.  So if I only have Stage Two, then if it does come back then it isn’t likely to jump to Stage Four with adhesions/scarring/etc.
·         We  have a referral for a doctor in Chicago that our doctor used to work with.  So hopefully he is able to fit us in after I move out to Chicago.

CP feels better about this after talking to the doctor.  Now that he knows that there is not much we can do until we get out there.  Hopefully in August we can hit the ground running (with insurance??).

6 comments:

Lanie said...

Good news about the endo studies. They just told me i have endo and i know nothing about it since i was diagnosed with other fertility issues.

I hope he has insurance for fertility! That would be so great!! I think the icsi is totally worth the extra cost in the case! I know its scary but kind of exciting to move forward with treatment. Good luck! Something to look forward to at the end of summer! Here's to hoping for a surprise before then!

Aly @ Breathe Gently said...

Sounds like you're going to be doing the shorter IVF protocol (jealous!) - mine is always the longer one, with the birth control first.

I'm no pro with IVF, but if you do go this way - I will totally be there to hang out with you. *hugs*

Navigating the Mothership said...

That is good news about the endo study and I'll be crossing my fingers so you have coverage for IVF.

And thanks again for being so candid about your journey & providing clear explanations of all the steps along the way. It's so helpful in understanding a little better what you and some of my friends are dealing with.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I always find that it feels better to know more about your plan and where you should go from here. I also find it funny that doctors hold out telling you things until you need to know ... when, sometimes, the reality is you'd be better off knowing beforehand. In any case, I'm just glad to hear there are next steps for you ... keeping my fingers crossed for a good meeting once you get to Chicago. Is the doctor you were referred to at Prentice?

Anonymous said...

Infertility coverage is mandated in Illinois, right? I hope it is covered. That would be amazing.

Fiery said...

My doc feels the same way about IUIs--do 3 and then move on. I'm glad you have a plan and very much hoping your insurance covers IVF!