My mother in law has been in town since Thursday night. While I really like my MIL, spending 6 days
and 5 nights with her has been quite enough.
Because CP was traveling last week, I had her all to myself on Thursday
and Friday until CP walked through the door around 9pm.
I don’t want to be mean because I really do like her but
this is a looooong trip. I haven’t even
had one hour to myself (or with CP)- other than sleeping of course- since she
got here. My hope was that yesterday CP
would take his mom to the Botanic Gardens and that I could claim that I wanted
to do something around the house and just get some alone time. Nope.
My MIL decided that she wanted to help out with the home renovations so
she helped me strip wallpaper in our living room. It’s great that she helped out because she
has experience with removing wallpaper, but still. It’s definitely something that I could have
figured out myself.
This has been a tiring weekend, not just because I have had
to be “on” for the past six days. I have
found myself a little testy- possibly from the birth control pills? Maybe from the same stories that are told
over and over again? (Thankfully, this
phenomenon has been a little better since we moved away because there is more
to “catch up” on. If CP and I had to
hear the same story about my MIL and her husband holding hands and then their
cat coming over to place her paw on their hands so that she could hold hands
too….well I was going to SCREAM. We
actually used to have bets on how often the story would get told in a single
weekend when we would go to see them.) I
have definitely had to use my “take a couple deep breaths” technique a few
times.
The bright spot of the long weekend? Well, now the trip is almost over and we won’t see
her again until some time in 2013. Also,
these:
My new slippers from the Field Museum. They are AMAZING. Both warm and hilarious at the same
time. They definitely make me giggle
every time I look down.
BEST. PURCHASE. EVER.
Should I start wearing these to doctor visits? :-)

13 comments:
Omg LOVE those! I think enormous Teen Wolf inspired slippers should start replacing fertility socks as the IF community gets increasingly riled up... also, I've been known to wear an owl hat and a large cape, so needless to say I'm all for ridiculous clothing. :)
Ack. In-laws. Not fun. But like you said, silver lining is you don't have to see them again for a while. And, you made it. Deep breath and return to normal.
I love your slippers. ADORE them! I'm one of those girls that starts to shiver if it drops below 75 degrees- so I appreciate how WARM your feet will be!
I agree, I have some of the least offensive in laws ever, but after a whole week in Portugal together I had defiantly had enough.
Those slippers are amazing. I had tiger feet ones when I was a lass.
I totally know how you feel with the in laws. I love mine also but it seems like every time they come I'm stuck entertaining them while my husband is at work since he works weekends. You know it's something you need to do but it really wears on you especially when it's a long visit. Happy you got your house back to yourself. Love the slippers.
Bahahhaa cat holding hands.
Those are funny slippers! Sorry for the long visit. My MIL & FIL were at the house Tues to Sat. I really appreciated the help but was ready for them to go on Saturday.
My MIL only lives a mile from our house....fortunately though, we don't see her all that often. And when she does stop by, it's only for a 1/2 hour or so each time. Small doses are easier to handle.
Those slippers are hilarious. I think you should wear them everyday when you go outside to pick up the newspaper. Engage your neighbors in small talk. And if they have the nerve to give you a funny look about your slippers, give them a funny look right back! ha.
My in-laws have a self-imposed five day limit, bless them. I've also never had to entertain solo. Brave woman, you. Also, the slippers kick ass.
My in-laws visited the cities for over a month this past summer. The original plan was for them to stay with my SIL the whole time but my SIL essentially couldn't take it anymore so the ILs came to stay with us once we moved into our new house. So the visit was nearly two weeks.
It. was. sheer. hell.
My MIL means well (I think?), but the visit was such a disaster on so many levels. She doesn't care much for young children (and when she had young children herself she also had a nanny FOR EACH OF HER CHILDREN and a cook...this was India so it was challenging for other reason, but still - OMG all that help) and she was getting into daily fights with Bella. Think: "I don't want to be around you!" from Bella being retaliated with "I don't want to be around you either!" from my MIL. I have never heard Bella be that way towards an adult. By the last week Bella would sob to me in private that she wanted them to go home.
Anyway, to avoid the kids my MIL insisted on unpacking my house and doing it her way, without input from me. Then she would be hurt if I dared to do something like move the coffee maker in the kitchen. I'm not kidding. She would also clean the kitchen endlessly and get all worked up everytime it got messed up, which, with kids was constantly.
Then to top if off she wanted to socialize non-stop and complain about things. She would lurk around in the kitchen in the evenings just for a chance to talk to me (my FIL does his own thing...slept and hid most of the day and my husband was busy dealing with getting the other property ready to rent) and I had to pretend like I went to bed at 8 most nights.
The kicker was that she would complain to my SIL about how awful it was to stay with us...how loud the kids were...how much my husband and I were drinking (yes, nightly, but OMG how could we not be?!).
They have plenty of money and can afford hotels, but they are extremely frugal. Like crazy frugal (weird discount chicken anyone?). So they insist on staying with their children for long visits even though they hate it.
Also? She completely disapproved of us buying this house (not sure the problem...they didn't contribute financially so not really their place to say a g-d thign!) and made that clear from the get- go.
At least this visit she didn't work on my craft projects without asking?
Leaving this comment semi-anonymously :)
Oh, how I wished I could have blogged about this last summer!
The "Mothership"
ugh, you have just made me think about my own MIL visit that is happening in a few days. this poses problems for a variety of reasons. 1. she is here for about 10 days, luckily, she is not staying with us during any of this time, because she is bringing her husband. 2. she and i are NOT on good terms right now....i'm debating have a little chat before she comes to set some ground rules. 3. did i mention its TEN DAYS?
I'm glad you lived through the 6 days!!! I feel your pain!
OH bummer!
I don't think it matters how awesome guests are, at a certain point, enough is enough. I have friends come visit fairly regularly, and while I love them, after three days I'M DONE.
And the slippers? AMAZING!
I love love love those slippers!
I straight up just tell people when I need alone time. I tend to get quite cranky :P
Post a Comment