Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.28.2014

Re-thinking birth control

If you have been around these parts for a period of time, you know that I have four different fertility issues: endometriosis, a large fibroid in my uterus, a short luteal phase, and some wonky hormones.

This past weekend Aunt Flo arrived 32 days after my last period. She was quite heavier than last month, but based on my cervical mucus, my luteal phase for the past month was 14 days, aka the normal amount of time. YAY!  I'm not sure if every cycle will now be this way but I would be pretty happy if pregnancy "righted" my menstrual cycle and I had one less fertility issue to worry about (even if it is a relatively minor one that can be helped by taking progesterone).

However, if Aunt Flo will be visiting again on a regular basis, I have a decision to make. If CP and I are thinking about a frozen transfer of our one embryo next January, do I go on birth control until we need to start getting my body ready for the frozen transfer? The way I see it, there are three different things in play right now. 

1. Endometriosis.  I had no endo when my OB opened me up for my c-section and endo shouldn't have been growing the past five months or so as I didn't have my period.  However, regular hormonal fluctuations with your menstrual cycle can trigger endo growth....so if I am going to start getting a regular period the endo could come back.

2. Fibroid.  There currently is a stupid fibroid that my OB saw when she did my c-section.  Not sure if the size of it has changed in the last six months but it is not in a good spot to get removed. Birth control can make fibroids grow....but from my brief research there are certain kinds that wouldn't promote growth. Whether they are also the same kinds that would only give me a period every quarter in lieu of every month is the question.  (I think I remember my doctor saying that birth control that resulted in fewer hormonal fluctuations aka one that "skips" your period are helpful for women with endo.)

3. Breastfeeding.  While I am currently contemplating dropping a pumping session at work once Izzy turns 6 months (tomorrow), birth control can effect your supply.  I am okay with supplementing formula if I don't make enough milk, but I still want most of what Izzy drinks to be breastmilk so I need to be careful about what birth control I take.

So.  Birth control pills could potentially stop any endo from growing, but they could also effect the fibroid and breastfeeding.  Or I could continue to not take any birth control, but know that the endo may start to grow.  Would I then need another surgery this fall or winter? I really don't want to have another surgery...especially knowing that if I am able to get pregnant again I am looking at another c-section.

Choices, choices.  I sometimes hate my stupid body and wish all of this was easier.

Any wise words from readers?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you lay out all the different aspects of these topics, even though I haven't gotten around to commenting much.
As for the BCPs, I used to be on one of those progestin-only pills, to be taken continuously (i.e. no breaks at all) because that's supposed to work best in preventing endo. No idea how these interplay with fibroids and/or breastfeeding, though I could imagine both are more estrogen-driven...
Also, I still believe I got pregnant the month before our FET, but lost that one due to my short luteal phase. And we have male and female factor infertility, too...

JustMe said...

Oh wow so complicated and I have no idea what the solution is! The only thing I can tell you from my experience is that I had the Mirena IUD inserted and that doesn't affect supply at all. I still haven't had my period yet. Not looking forward to its return...

Anonymous said...

I don't have any wise words, but I'm interested to hear what you decide on. I have endo too, and want to keep breastfeeding for at least a year. I haven't gotten my period back yet, but will have to make a decision about birth control as well (hoping to not take the pill).

JustHeather said...

I've not thought much about my endo...I am just sure it is back, but I won't know until I go in for an u/s, as I've never had "normal" endo pains/symptoms.

I wonder how the Mirena IUD would work? It is supposed to be low in hormones, but also often-times stops periods orvmakes them very light.

@JessEsco said...

I was on a low dose BC and it didn't affect my pumping/bfing at all. You should ask about that one :)