Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

11.25.2014

Excited for the holidays

Thanksgiving is coming up in two days and I can't wait. My MIL arrives tonight from New Hampshire and she will be here not only to celebrate Turkey Day but also Izzy's first birthday (!) on Saturday. I have found myself more excited for the holidays than I have been in a long time.

It started with Fourth of July. Izzy was old enough to pay attention to the parade in our town and was awake the entire time. It was fun to point out the exciting dancers and people in the parade to her.

Halloween? This one is easy. CP never let me dress up the dogs and we haven't been to a Halloween party in a while because CP hates to dress up....so other than buying a lot of Halloween candy for the neighborhood kids to enjoy, we didn't do much. This year I got to dress up my adorable daughter and parade her around the neighborhood (and put her in a carved-out pumpkin)! 

Thanksgiving? Izzy missed this holiday by just a day last year. I'm not sure exactly what she will or will not eat at the dinner this year but we will have fun watching her taste it! My parents and my MIL will be there so it will be nice to have 3 out of the 4 grandparents with us for the day. Having her will make the day a little more stressful for CP because I won't be able to help him cook as much, but it is obviously worth it.

And then there is Christmas. I feel really bad that we won't be doing much decorating around our house this year for Christmas- or getting a tree- because we are leaving for Spain on Christmas Day...but I have to remember that Izzy won't remember it anyway. She will be a few days shy of 13 months so I'm not sure she will get the concept of presents and will likely be more excited about eating the wrapping paper. :-) Obviously in the coming years Christmas will be a MUCH more exciting day for her.

I think that what has me most excited about the holidays after having a child is the idea of possibilities. I am ready to start my own traditions with our little family around the holidays. Sure CP and I could have started them while we were trying for a baby but it is much more fun to experience the holidays through the eyes of a child. I'm grateful that we got lucky through IVF and had Izzy. Her presence really makes a difference in our lives.

7 comments:

Gypsy Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gypsy Mama said...

I am so excited to create family traditions too! Spain is going to be amazing, I'm sure you will get some great Christmas photos and memories there. Having children shines a whole new light on the holidays and I'm sure they will just get even better as they get older.

Emilie said...

Starting your own traditions will be so much fun. I can't wait to have kids someday because the holidays are definitely not as fun as a child-less adult. I will always remember Izzy's birthday since it is two days after mine. I loved being able to see my family around my birthday growing up so I hope she enjoys that aspect of her birthday as well! Hope you guys have a fantastic day on Thursday!

JenS said...

We decided against getting a tree this year because 2 newly walking toddlers and christmas trees probably aren't a good combination. I'm a little bummed about that, but I am excited to start some new family traditions. I don't know what they will be but it's fun thinking about all the possibilities. It's so fun experiencing all these things through our kids now.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Love this! Such a fun time. Enjoy it!

Aramis said...

I love the idea of starting new traditions, but for this year I'm also enjoying the idea of having our last quiet Christmas together!

Amber said...

Like JenS, we won't have a tree this year either. I know my twins would NOT leave it alone. I am, however, looking forward to decorating and going all out next year! This year is probably mostly for us, but I am really excited for the holidays too.