Halloween was a lot of fun on Friday. Our next door neighbors had a party and I dressed up as the female version of Where's Waldo (aka an easy costume). CP was supposed to be back from Mississippi in time, but unfortunately due to the crazy wind/snow/hail we got, his flight was cancelled. Instead, he drove from MS home with three of his coworkers and finally arrived around 12:30am Saturday.
Remember when I first moved into our house a little over two years ago and when drinking beers with my new neighbors, I met one of their friends- who happens to be a fertility doctor that is in the same practice as my RE, but just in a different location? And instead of being a little sensitive due to the nature of his profession, he was the opposite?
Well, he was at the Halloween party dressed as Dr. Sperm. Okay I get it. It's a play on your job. While he was at the party, he was making jokes with two of our neighbors (who are definitely fertile) about things that keep him in business. And how he makes a lot of money in his business.
Ugh. Maybe it's not even the fact that he makes me uncomfortable because I don't want to out myself (at least not yet) to our neighbors as being infertile. Maybe it's simply the fact that he seems like a douche. He clearly thought that he was in a group of fertile people (I think he saw me carrying around Izzy earlier because he said "congratulations"- that or else he knows that I am a patient which makes everything that he said even worse) so making jokes about people's issues is good for "party conversation." Maybe I am just being a little sensitive because the closer we get to the consultation appointment with my RE, the more worried I get about the frozen transfer next year. I don't know..maybe all doctors make jokes about their patients?
All I know is that in the two times I have met him, he has left a bad taste in his mouth. I am certainly hoping that I never have to see him during any of my infertility procedures.
Want to read more Microblog Mondays? Go here.

13 comments:
That seems inappropriate. I doubt people would think it's ok for an oncologist to be making similar types of jokes about cancer patients, etc. I'm all for finding the humor in life, but his approach seems off to me.
PS I have to sign in to Google to comment, but it may not show my current site, which is travelcraftjournal.com.
Agreed that his behavior seems highly inappropriate. My mom is a nurse, so I've been around a lot of her doctor and nurse friends both in work environments and in non-work environments. I've never heard any of her colleagues speak like that or play on the medical conditions of any patients. Occasionally they talk about super annoying or odd patients (never with names of course) but to make fun of a condition someone has no control over? That's awful.
Oh my gosh I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue! What a loser...
Yeah...that seems totally uncool. It's like making fun of other people's misfortune. I don't like him either.
Maya Angelou said when someone tells you who they are, believe them. Well, you're right, he's a douche who is so insecure and bored that he has nothing else to talk about. I hope you don't ever have to deal with him at the clinic.
Yeurgh! I think I would have a bad taste too...
Ick. That is so unprofessional.
Er... that would make me really really uncomfortable. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to say anything to him about the lack of sensitivity, but it would definitely make me uncomfortable.
Yep, he's a douche! This makes me think of that show The Mindy Project - every time I watch it, I think to myself 'there's no way I'd let any of those characters near my lady parts or unborn child' and the dialogue seems really unrealistic for OB/GYNs. But maybe it's not all that unrealistic... Blech.
That guy's an asshole. No respectable person would make fun of their clients like that.
Let me at him! I really would want to say something to him. Even as a joke - let's face it, I can do passive aggressive.
I'll have to think about what I would say - but I think it would be possible to say something without outing yourself. Hmmm - maybe ask if insensitivity towards patients is a pre-requisite in his job/practice/business? Did he go into infertility practice just so he can make sperm jokes? Did he not qualify as a brain surgeon because they have a higher sensitivity requirement? Ummmm ...I'll go away and think about it now and see if I can't come up with something better.
And if he's bragging about how much money he makes, no matter what he does, he's an idiot.
What an ass! So unprofessional. I would be horrified if my doctor was doing that. How can you be in that profession and not have a little sensitivity? Ugh.
What a douche bag!! Seriously! Just the fact that he's bragging about how much money he makes, makes him an ass. On top of that, how can someone in that profession be so insensitive? Shudder at the thought of being his patient!
Post a Comment