Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

2.24.2017

First goal almost complete!

As of March 1st (or so) I will have nursed Wes as long as I nursed Izzy. Getting to 7.5 months was definitely my first goal for breastfeeding him. I was sad that Izzy went on a nursing strike that early although it was nice to get my body back. 

This time around it sure would be nice to get my body back but Wes shows no signs of wanting to stop and I am also not ready to stop either. Especially with Wes' hospital visit this past week I think it would be best for him to get the immunities/antibodies in breastmilk for a little while longer (at least until the end of winter/RSV season). 

I think that if I can just take away the pumping I would be more than happy to nurse a while longer (having to pump all weekend long for two weekends did not help with my hatred of my pump). So starting next week I am going to try to drop down to one pump a day at work and work towards just a morning and night nursing session. Will dropping down to one pump a day tank my supply? Not sure. I have to hope that my boobs will still produce something and that even that little bit will help Wes' immune system. I also still have some milk in the freezer so if my supply totally tanks I can still give him a breastmilk bottle for a little while longer.... This way I can eventually get my full work day back while also balancing the mom guilt that I should still be nursing. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Gemini.Apache said...

That's awesome you are still nursing especially since you have to deal with pumping. I also hate it (with a passion) although I pump once before bed since I want to make sure charlotte gets a bottle everyday. If I had to pump more than that I think I would give up breastfeeding.
Sorry to hear Wes was sick...I need to catch up on reading!! Hope he's better now.

Risa Kerslake said...

I wouldn't think dropping one pumping session would hurt it. Good job on making it this long!!! Whoop whoop! I'm sorry about Wes' sickness. I popped over to read it and gah. Sweet baby. Hope he's doing better.

Feisty Harriet said...

ALL THE CHEERLEADER BURPEES!! (I was never a cheerleader) (Nor have I ever in my life done a burpee...but hey, here's to being supportive.)

xox

Amber said...

Congrats on making it to this first goal! Breastfeeding is hard and pumping is time consuming. You have been a rock star!