Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

7.16.2009

Book suggestion

If anyone is looking for a good book to read this summer, I would highly recommend Beautiful Boy by David Sheff. I just finished the book on the way to work and on numerous occasions, I have welled up with tears. It is a very powerful story and the book was hard to put down.

For some odd reason, I have always enjoyed reading stories about addicts or people with emotional problems. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey was one of those books (although I do remember commenting that he had quite a fantastic memory while being so high). Do I like to read these books because they are the written version of reality tv? Is it because I can feel better about myself knowing that I haven’t had to go through any of these experiences? I’m not sure.

I am lucky enough to not have anyone close to me with an addiction. My grandmother was an alcoholic, but she died before I was old enough to really even recognize or understand that she was sick. Supposedly my cousin is also an alcoholic, but I haven’t seen him in over 10 years so I have no clue if that rumor is true (although he is supposedly coming to the wedding- I guess I could find out then). I am very lucky in this regard.

Even in college, I somehow knew that I was not able to become addicted to alcohol. After particular hard nights of drinking I never said “I will never drink again” like some friends did- I knew better that of course I would drink again. However, my body would not physically allow me to drink heavily the next night. Plus now that I am older I have become quite the wuss with alcohol. Although it wrecks havoc on my whole losing-weight goal, I love the fruity drinks where I can’t taste the alcohol. I rarely do shots (although that would be a way to cut down on calories).

And I guess the information on drugs given to us in middle school was enough to scare me, because I stayed away from drugs in college (not to mention the fact that I was drug tested for my sport once I qualified for Nationals). In fact, I was impervious to it. Recently someone that was in the same fraternity as my ex-boyfriend in college told me of all of the people that did cocaine in the house (not my friend and not my ex). I never had any idea, despite the ridiculous amount of time I spent there. Weird (and scary at the same time).

The book did get me thinking of how hard it would be to have a child go through such an addiction. I am curious to read the book by the son, Tweak, to find out his version of the events….

Any good books you have read lately? I am on a reading kick and need suggestions! :-)

3 comments:

Christina said...

I was never one for alcohol nor drugs. They were not my thing. I don't like beer so I was not a big college drinker. Fruty drinks is my vice now as is wine. I was never interested in smoking anything. It just never appealed to me.

I just finished Jennifer Waner's book "Little Earthquakes" and that was a fun read. I am currenly reading "All He Ever Wanted" by Anita Shreve and so far it is interesting.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

The thing I like about books like the ones you described are the story of people overcoming obstacles and difficulties in their lives. I'm definitely a sucker for the same kinds of books. Maybe they make me more grateful for my life and maybe it's so I learn something should I ever be in the position to need to overcome challenges. Who knows, but they are most definitely interesting reads.

Tia said...

I just saw that book yesterday at the library. I liked Million Little Pieces, but I didn't like that he said it was all non-fiction, when it wasn't.

I recently finished The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb, which was fantastic. Fiction, but had lots of true stuff about Columbine.

I'm currently reading Three Cups of Tea. So far I like it and it is very inspiring.