
I have yet to stick to the Whip It Up “theme” for the week, but decided to change that last night! The theme for this week was “healthy recipes” so I bet you are surprised that I made Banana “Ice Cream.” :-)
Ingredients:
5 bananas
¼ cup skim milk
Directions:
Cut up five bananas and put in Ziplock bag to freeze overnight.
The next day, using a food processor (a blender DOES NOT have enough power), add the bananas and pulse to break them up into smaller pieces. Add in the milk. Run processor for about five minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
NOTES: The original recipe didn’t call for skim milk but because my processor was having a problem with the sticky bananas, I decided to try to make it a little smoother. It seemed to do the job. If your processor seems to be having problems cutting up the frozen bananas, stick the big pieces of banana in the microwave and heat for 20 seconds.
Difficulty level: Easy
Taste: It tastes like….bananas. I know, shocker, huh? The milk added a bit of creaminess to the “ice cream” and I thought that it tasted fine. CP put fresh raspberries on top of his dish and thought that it was still a bit boring. I tried the “ice cream” with peanut butter (just okay), fresh blueberries (again, just okay) and sugar free vanilla ice cream. The vanilla ice cream was a nice complement to the banana taste and I really enjoyed eating them together!
Would I make it again: I might. FI wants to see if we can figure out how to make it into a sorbet so that he finds it a bit more interesting…..
Ingredients:
5 bananas
¼ cup skim milk
Directions:
Cut up five bananas and put in Ziplock bag to freeze overnight.
The next day, using a food processor (a blender DOES NOT have enough power), add the bananas and pulse to break them up into smaller pieces. Add in the milk. Run processor for about five minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
NOTES: The original recipe didn’t call for skim milk but because my processor was having a problem with the sticky bananas, I decided to try to make it a little smoother. It seemed to do the job. If your processor seems to be having problems cutting up the frozen bananas, stick the big pieces of banana in the microwave and heat for 20 seconds.
Difficulty level: Easy
Taste: It tastes like….bananas. I know, shocker, huh? The milk added a bit of creaminess to the “ice cream” and I thought that it tasted fine. CP put fresh raspberries on top of his dish and thought that it was still a bit boring. I tried the “ice cream” with peanut butter (just okay), fresh blueberries (again, just okay) and sugar free vanilla ice cream. The vanilla ice cream was a nice complement to the banana taste and I really enjoyed eating them together!
Would I make it again: I might. FI wants to see if we can figure out how to make it into a sorbet so that he finds it a bit more interesting…..
**For some reason Blogger is not allowing me to post the picture of the ice cream right now. I will try to get it up tonight!**
1 comment:
Sorbet are a wee bit trickier. do you ahve an ice cream maker, it does help if you have one. They require more sugar but they are so good.
Post a Comment