Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

5.24.2011

A cautionary tale

As you guys know, I have been trying to decrease the number of chemicals both in our food (shopping for organic fruits/veggies and trying not eat processed foods) and in the products in our house. CP is completely on board with the food choices we make after reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma. (Haven’t read it yet? PLEASE DO.)

He is a bit more skeptical of green products. After reading some of the ingredients in toothpastes, I decided a while back that we were going to switch to Burt’s Bees toothpaste. Why not go a bit more natural with something that is in your mouth and that you ingest even without meaning to?

Well, after my dentist’s visit this week, I will be switching back to a chemical-laden toothpaste. I went in for my regular visit and the dentist found that I was starting to get a cavity in between two teeth. I had never even heard about that happening and it is not my regular m.o. for cavities! I asked the dentist if Burt’s Bees could potentially be the problem, and he thought that the toothpaste most likely didn’t have enough fluoride in it. While I hate to switch to his recommended Colgate Total, I hate cavities even more.

The moral of the story? I will continue to purchase green products and make good choices based on the ingredients of the products, but maybe not in my toothpaste.

Have you guys had a similar problem with a green/more organic product?

1 comment:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

There are trade-offs with everything we use. For the most part, earth-friendly products win in my book, but I definitely think there can be drawbacks in using them, sometimes. It could be spending more money to use them or risking one negative health effect (cavities) in exchange for another (fewer chemicals in the body). All I know is my parents made us use Tom's of Maine toothpaste when I lived at home and I'm pretty sure that experience scarred me for life. We're a Colgate Total household, because Consumer Reports says so. =)