Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

4.02.2012

First IUI

Thanks for all of the supportive comments last week. I was definitely nervous going into it but the fact that I had people crossing various body parts for me made me feel better (hey, I’ll take all of the good vibes I can get!).

So, the IUI. CP went in that morning to give his sample. Afterwards he came back to report that the porn was from the 80s and the clinic was still using VHS tapes. He wondered why they couldn’t invest in a DVD so that the men could skip to a scene they enjoyed. LOL. He also found it very weird because when he showed up there were 5 other guys in the room clearly there to do the exact same thing he was doing. Awkward!

Meanwhile, I headed into Hartford to rock my stair climb! I didn’t sleep well on Friday night (hmmm maybe I was excited about something?) and had (ahem) other, more important things on my mind, but I still had a fun time with my friend. We were VIPs because we raised over $500 for the American Lung Association so we received a dri fit tshirt, a regular tshirt, a sweat armband, and drink tickets for the after party. I finished the 35 flight race in a little less than 9 minutes which wasn’t too bad. The winner ran it in 3:07 which is INSANE.

After the race I ran home to shower (no time to shave- whoops!) and then headed over to the clinic. I was brought back into a room, where I noticed this:



Ha ha. Really??? They couldn’t name it anything else?


The nurse came in and I asked if this was going to hurt like the HSG test. She said that if anything, it will feel like a pap smear, but there is minimal pain involved. We went over CP’s sperm sample which was EXCELLENT. I was shocked because his sperm analysis results last year were not great. The stress from his job, any possible sickness, etc. must have affected him back then. I was estatic to hear that his sperm was back into normal levels.

As the nurse used the Sperminator, she remarked that everything looked great and I had an open cervix. I laid on the table for 15 minutes after getting turkey basted and then left the clinic. I walked out full of hope and ready to give CP the good news about his sperm.

The rest of the weekend we made jokes about the “bebe” in my belly, but I can’t imagine that is going to be great for my psyche if I end up not being pregnant. But it’s our way of making the awkward way we might have made a baby less awkward.

Yesterday I started using Crinone, a progesterone that should help extend my short luteal phase. I have no idea how I am going to be able to wait another 7 days to break out my first pregnancy test. Right? The earliest you can start testing is 10 days after ovulation? Can I use an expired pregnancy test? I have two tests left from last year that technically expired in February.

Keep sending those positive thoughts!

9 comments:

Navigating the Mothership said...

Crossing fingers and sending positive thoughts. I appreciate you sharing your experience with this. I have a friend going through something similar and it's good for me to know all the details with how this works. Really great news about the sperm sample!!

Tia said...

So excited for you guys! Fingers and toes crossed!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Great to hear that everything over the past week has pretty much been textbook. Thinking good thoughts for you over this next week!

Fiery said...

Very exciting! So glad it went well. What is it with REs having old, weird porn? Spend $100 and get a DVD player and some newer material.

Clomid should also help with your LP. Letrozole definitely helped w/ my progesterone levels.

Good luck!! I think the expired tests you have should be fine to use.

Alb Mom said...

Fingers crossed for you. I'm coming up on my first IUI too so I enjoyed reading about your experience.

Christina said...

Gald to hear that it went wel, fingers crossed!

@JessEsco said...

Really hoping this was it for you!!!

terra said...

All the things are crossed lady! Good luck!

missmitten said...

OMG I just LOL'ed!!! That is the funniest thing... & then you said turkey basted.

But in all seriousness, I hope this works out for you!