Last night I had a dream that I was at the doctor and she confirmed that I was pregnant but that it was still very, very early. I woke up and was so disappointed that I wasn’t truly in the doctor’s office! Still counting down the days until Tuesday morning!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
In Tuesday’s post I alluded to a call CP received from a headhunter last week about a job in Chicago. Initially CP just played along with the guy until he heard about the position AND the 50% pay raise! He emailed me while I was at work and I about fell out of my chair. Last weekend we put together an Excel spreadsheet (ahhh being married to an engineer) of pros/cons/costs, etc and decided to at least look into the job a little more. We have started to love living in our CT town (house, location, commute, town) and have made some awesome friends, etc. so the job has to be worth it career-wise and money-wise for us to make the move. BUT, I have family in Chicago and we would be a heck of a lot closer to family in Chicago than we are to family here. Not only would it potentially be great for CP career-wise, but it might be great for me too. I would be moving to a bigger office, which means more opportunity. And if I wanted to leave my company Chicago has every industry imaginable so it may be easier for me to find something that I want.
But moving SUCKS. Just two weeks I remarked to CP THANK GOD WE DON’T HAVE TO MOVE ANYTIME SOON. Ha ha. Joke is on me (potentially). CP brought up the fact that when do we stop moving and just settle down? I agree with that statement because we said that we would stay in our current house for at least five years. But moving for a great job would be a heck of a lot easier without a kid or kids. CP wouldn’t have to get his MBA in the future if he got this job, potentially saving us tens of thousands of dollars. Then again, we would most likely lose money on selling our house and we are not renting it out in addition to the condo out west!
I spoke to my boss yesterday about the possibility of transferring my job to the Chicago office. As you may remember, my boss was angry at me when I went behind her back and tried to get transferred to the Denver office. I decided that this time, I would actually tell her in advance because this truly fell into our lap. I told her that CP received a call from out of the blue and that if the job is not perfect we won’t move because we are enjoying ourselves here. Then I asked her about getting transferred. She said that if CP starts to interview and it looks like things are heading down that road that we could start filling out paperwork. Just because there are not job postings for positions right now doesn’t mean that they don’t have an opening for someone.
As you can imagine, this discussion went MUCH better than last time.
If I don't have a job out there through my company we won’t move.....no matter how great the job is for CP. I have accrued vacation time and sick time in the hopes that I get pregnant sometime soon….if I move to a new company I won’t have that.
Stay tuned….
But moving SUCKS. Just two weeks I remarked to CP THANK GOD WE DON’T HAVE TO MOVE ANYTIME SOON. Ha ha. Joke is on me (potentially). CP brought up the fact that when do we stop moving and just settle down? I agree with that statement because we said that we would stay in our current house for at least five years. But moving for a great job would be a heck of a lot easier without a kid or kids. CP wouldn’t have to get his MBA in the future if he got this job, potentially saving us tens of thousands of dollars. Then again, we would most likely lose money on selling our house and we are not renting it out in addition to the condo out west!
I spoke to my boss yesterday about the possibility of transferring my job to the Chicago office. As you may remember, my boss was angry at me when I went behind her back and tried to get transferred to the Denver office. I decided that this time, I would actually tell her in advance because this truly fell into our lap. I told her that CP received a call from out of the blue and that if the job is not perfect we won’t move because we are enjoying ourselves here. Then I asked her about getting transferred. She said that if CP starts to interview and it looks like things are heading down that road that we could start filling out paperwork. Just because there are not job postings for positions right now doesn’t mean that they don’t have an opening for someone.
As you can imagine, this discussion went MUCH better than last time.
If I don't have a job out there through my company we won’t move.....no matter how great the job is for CP. I have accrued vacation time and sick time in the hopes that I get pregnant sometime soon….if I move to a new company I won’t have that.
Stay tuned….
6 comments:
I'll be holding my breath for you until Tuesday! The 2ww feels SO long.
What an exciting opportunity. You're smart to stay with your current company for now, because you wouldn't be eligible for FMLA if you switched jobs. I'm not sure how old you are, but I think you're in the same bracket as myself and most of my friends. This seems to be the time of big transitions for a lot of us. We're working our way up the career ladder, and that often requires big moves.
Wow, if you move to Chicago we will have to meet. But seriously, you two are wise to be rational with your decision making and if it all is aligned and works to your favor you can figure out what is best for you, CP and the pups.
My BIL is an engineer and I know how companies are being aggressive because they don't have enough qualified people to work for them
Anyway, just a fe more days till Tuesday!
What exciting news! You never know. It could be the place to be.
Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and thank you for the thoughts on our situation. Always glad to make new bloggy friends.
VERY interesting! I hope it's a fruitful exercise for you, even if if determine it's not the right fit for CP ... you will figure out what it would take to move the next time something comes up.
So exciting! Sounds like it would be a great opportunity, but there's definitely a lot to think about. We might be moving in the near future too and the thing about selling the house and possibly losing money is hard to swallow.
Post a Comment