Motto

“If you get caught up in the worst case scenario and it doesn’t happen, you’ve wasted your time. And if you are caught up in the worst case scenario and it does happen, you’ve lived it twice.” -Michael J. Fox

3.19.2013

Spring 2013 planting

I made good use of my bed rest/free time on Sunday.

First, after reading about a documentary called "The Staircase" in Entertainment Weekly, I decided to try to watch all of the episodes OnDemand.  Unfortunately, they only had the last two parts of the documentary, but I found the earlier parts on the Sundance Channel's website and YouTube.  The documentary is pretty good and with each episode you go back and forth on whether the husband is guilty or not.  (I'm currently on episode #5.)  I don't usually watch the Sundance Channel, but they have been hyping up another miniseries called 'Top of the Lake" with Elizabeth Moss (from Mad Men).  I've been hearing good things about that series as well so I DVR'ed it last night.

My other major task on Sunday was to plan out our front, side, and back flower gardens.  If you remember, this past fall we hired a landscaper to come out to the property and rip out all of the nasty, overgrown bushes and ground cover (Before and After pictures).  Well, now everything is bare so we have to spend some money on making everything look pretty!

I spent a considerable amount of time figuring out when everything would bloom and trying to space that out throughout the spring and summer and also looking at height/spacing/a variety of shapes/ etc.  I planted tulips and daffodils last fall and they are just starting to peep out of the ground.  My goal on Sunday was to find no-care or low-maintenance perennials so that I could plant them and forget about them!

Here what I have ordered for this year:


Front of the House Garden 
(will not have full sun because of a large tree)

Black Eyed Susans.  Had these in CT and loved them.


Cherry Brandy Black Eyed Susan.  I've never seen this before and I needed some red.


Pink Sensation Aconitum.
I had never heard of Aconitums, but they were recommended by my mom's Perennial book for no-fuss and no problems with insects.


Napellus Aconitum



Darwin's Blue Veronica


Twilite Prairieblues Bapista.
Another plant I have never heard of but gets high marks from the Perennial book.


Solar Flare Prairieblues Bapista


Behind the House and Garage 
(little/no sun) 

Blue Mouse Ears Hosta.
I bought this partly because the name is adorable.  :-)


Blue Mammoth Hosta.
As the name suggests, these get pretty big.


Tokudama Flavo-Circinalis Hosta

Side of driveway (mostly sun)

For this area, I went with all daylilies that bloom at different times of the summer.

Frans Hals Daylily


Black-Eyed Stella Daylily

Pardalinum Tiger Lily



Red Tiger Daylily

Pink Tiger Daylily



Strutter's Ball Daylily

Yellow Tiger Daylily


Did I mention how much I like flowers?  :-)

Any suggestions on some of your favorite no-fuss perennials? 

CP and I are also working on planning out our garden beds this year. I can't wait for fresh veggies once again!



*Pictures from Hollandbulbfarms.com and Rootsrhizomes.com (where I bought the plants).  This is not an advertisement for these companies nor have I been given free plants (boy that would have been nice!).*

13 comments:

Shelley said...

Love all the flowers. I have no suggestions because my husband does all the selections for our yard.

We also wanted to get a start on our garden, so we decided to see if we could grow some of our vegetables from seeds. I swear, we are like proud parents...5 of the 11 have just sprouted and we check each night to see if there's anything else poking up out of the soil!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for getting your garden in... I really need to get on that though I am much more of a edibles kinda gal..

Aramis said...

This will be my first year planning out a flower garden. I planted a lot of tulips and daffodils in the fall but once those die off I'll need to plan what will fill the spaces. I might copy some of your choices! Although I also tend to plant a lot of herbs in the really sunny spots...I've made tons of pesto in the past from basil plants that got huge!

sass @ (In)fertility Unexplained said...

That's a lot of planting! I live black eyed suzies, and I've never seem them in red before. Live it !

Just T said...

I love you selection. Da ylillys are my favorites. I also love my gerber daisy. I have a flower bed full of only gerbers.

Amy Jo said...

My major problem at our house is that where our flowers are planted, it is ALL SUN...ALL THE TIME!!! There are not many flowers that appreciate that much sun! It's very frustrating at how much $$$ I have spent in the 3 years that we have lived here trying to find something that can withstand all the heat.

I want to "love" planting flowers each year...but I have grown to despise it. Maybe if I had more of a "green thumb" it would be more enjoyable.

KelBel said...

Love your flower selection! Can't wait to see pictures when everything is in bloom. :)

Anonymous said...

I love blue hostas! The blue-green colour is just so lovely. Same with deep purple flowers -- those colours together make for such a nice, cooling garden in the midst of summer. I have a very teensie back garden that barely gets any sun, but I've had great luck with creepers and vines like ivy, herbs like mint (that stuff survives ANYTHING) and lilies. Can't wait to see some pics after all this stuff is planted!

@JessEsco said...

You guys are so good about your gardening! I wish we were. I really need to get out there, it's not like it isn't warm enough.

Terra said...

Love the flowers! I'm a huge fan of day lillies & black eyed susans.

Amber said...

Looks like you will be very busy planting flowers! I wish I had more time to so some gardening. Our yard looks atrocious because all our time gets put into the softball field. It's kinda sad.

Anonymous said...

Gardening has always been my favorite thing in the Spring/Summer. I am in LOVE with those cherry red black-eyed susans! Must. Have. My favorite perennial: Lavender....they make me so happy despite the scary bumble bees.

ICLW#40

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

All that color! And variety! I can't wait to see how your garden does this year - I bet it's going to be beautiful!