So I went to Google and the first few clicks said that pregnant women have a higher risk of DVT or deep vein thrombosis. Basically, if one leg is swollen, call the doctor. I ended up calling the doctor on call who didn't seem too worried as I don't smoke, this is my first pregnancy, and my leg didn't hurt. He still thought that it would be prudent for me to get a doctor's appointment today because at 19 weeks it really is too early for swelling.
I (of course) went to bed joking with CP "if I didn't wake up", but I did have problems falling asleep last night. What if I did have DVT and the clot headed to my lung? Should we have gone to the hospital? I put an extra pillow under my swollen leg and thankfully woke up today. My leg is a bit better, but it is still more swollen than the left leg. Now I just have to wait for the office to open and hopefully I can get in to see a doctor early. I was supposed to give a short presentation to one of the other divisions today but I don't think that I am going to make it into work on time for that. Hopefully they understand and we can reschedule.
Will update later.
*UPDATE*
I was able to see one of the other doctors in the practice this morning. My blood pressure was normal and I may have lost some weight since my last appointment? (I'll have to check next week.) The doctor was very nice, took a look at my legs, and said that he also wasn't too worried. The fact that it got a little better overnight leads him to believe that it is not DVT because the swelling wouldn't go down at all with DVT. It may be that my uterus is sitting a bit more on one blood vessel than another, leading to less circulation on one side. He did say that it is a little weird to see this so early in a pregnancy, but pregnancy affects everyone differently. I could still have a blot clot, but my risk is not any higher than anyone else walking through the office door.
Basically if it gets worse I am to call again, but for now, he doesn't want to move to doing a doppler ultrasound on my leg. I am also to continue doing what I am doing- not eating salty foods, drinking water, staying active, etc.
*Phew*
The other good news is that I got to hear the heartbeat on the doppler at the end of the appointment. Still beating strong in my uterus- woo hoo!
12 comments:
I'm glad you're getting it checked out. It's probably nothing, but better to be sure. Good luck!
I agree with the previous post. Always better to be safe than worried.
Ugh, that would scare me, too! Hope everything turns out to be fine!
Glad everything is okay and that you're so aware of your body!
Always better to be safe than sorry. Glad you got it checked out and everything appears to be okay. Awesome that you got to hear the little ones heartbeat :) Bonus!
So glad it turned out to be nothing too serious! Always better to be safe than sorry, so I'm glad you got it checked out.
Glad this was nothing to worry about. And bonus heartbeat encounter!
So happy to hear the doctors got you in quickly and was able to give you reassuring news.
My sister had one swollen ankle during her first pregnancy. Like you, she was just fine. I'm glad you were able to get some reassurance.
This is scary. I'm glad you're ok. It's crazy the things that happen to us that doctors don't even have an explanation for. Again, glad you're ok.
I have a total irrational fear of of DVTs I once didn't sleep for 48 hours during an overseas trip because I was terrified I'd have a pulmonary embolism and die. Glad you got yours checked out
I'm glad you went and got it checked out, just in case and I'm it's awesome that you got to hear the heartbeat as well!
Post a Comment